Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Read "Getting to Maybe"?  (Read 1526 times)

eray01

Read "Getting to Maybe"?
« on: August 06, 2005, 10:21:07 AM »
Has anyone read "Getting to Maybe" before taking exams? How did you feel it effected your results? I'd like to buy the book, but I don't want to have my time wasted.

antwan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Read "Getting to Maybe"?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 11:14:03 AM »
I just finished it. Its probably worth it considering it will only take you like one or two days to read (it's very breezy) and besides, it only cost like 15 dollars (used). Its definetaly not the "answer" that it purports to be, but it gives some interesting insight, and new way of thinking about analasys by identifying "forks" in the "law" and "forks" in the facts of hypos. The goal is to manipulate those forks to help make arguments for and against your "clients."

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 03:05:48 PM »
Has anyone read "Getting to Maybe" before taking exams? How did you feel it effected your results? I'd like to buy the book, but I don't want to have my time wasted.

It's not a waste of time.  Read it.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

GenHawk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 02:50:02 PM »
I read most of those law school 'how to" books - including that one. In my opinion, it was one of the worst and I can't really recommend it. On the other hand it can't really hurt.

I guess if you only have $15 it might be ok, it will help a little. LEEWS is much better though, or the John Delaney books for almost the same price.

Just my opinion.

rick8481

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm In!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 12:46:23 AM »
What about "Acing Your First Year of Law School"?  I like it.  The book seems very direct and helpful.
3.1  157
Accepted: Mercer, Stetson, Florida Coastal w/ $$$
A**holes: Georgia State 
Wait Listed: UGA,
Hold:  FSU

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=rick8481

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 01:42:37 AM »
Get the books recommended by Planet Law School. 

I cant say enough on how this book helps you focus on what is essential to legal reasoning and analysis.

I do believe however that you must first have an inate ability to reason the law in a certain way but Planet Law School will help you to focus that ability and apply it to what is necessary in order to do well in law school.

touro1979

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 08:33:25 AM »
I found this book helpful and it is really cheap if you buy the older edition used on amazon.  Strategies and tactics for your fist year student by emanuel.

Old edition(CHEAP)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1565425774/qid=1123763391/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-0945936-4816953?v=glance&s=books

New
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735539987/qid=1123763391/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-0945936-4816953?v=glance&s=books

jewelbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 08:32:25 PM »
I read GTM this summer and although Iíve not started classes yet, I feel like it will be a tremendous help. It gave me a sense of what Profs really look for in exam answers, and goes beyond IRAC. That said, I think that it is a bit difficult to fully comprehend everything before youíve begun classes. Iím currently making a condensed outline of the major points (hell yes I'm a nerd) that I plan to refer to once exams approach. Anyway, the book is pretty cheap (compared to LEEWS etc.) and Iím sure that it wonít hurt to read it. I say go for it.

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 04:36:29 PM »
Unrelated to the book at hand.

Jewelbomb, great name and photo.

jewelbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 10:27:14 AM »
Unrelated to the book at hand.

Jewelbomb, great name and photo.

Thanks dkast. I can't take credit for the name however. I stole it. It's a Richard Buckner song.