Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: question for the female law students  (Read 3419 times)

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: question for the female law students
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 07:31:53 PM »
Fair enough, you sound like you have some personal experience in the area.  I just have found that a lot of people have opinions about adoption which are, let's say, underesearched. 

I guess it's not the birth part that concerns me.  Most firms I've researched offer paid leave plus there is the FMLA protection for employers who have over 50 employees.  At least from what I have seen women can take the time to actually have the baby.  What worries me is the work-life balance after that.  Will I still be able to get on the juicy cases?  Can I build a career part-time?  I tend to get wrapped up in what I do, so I wonder how I will be able to expend the energy to be a great lawyer and a great mom.  I wish my husband would stay home, but he doesn't want to any more than I do, and I understand the feeling. 

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 12:58:55 AM »
Hi there,

This is a question for the female law students. I'm wondering if any of you has thought of whether or not you plan to have a family (i.e., kids) at some point early on in your law career and if so, do you plan to continue working full-time once you've had a baby, or do you intend to quit, or work part-time, or what?

I want to attend law school and become a lawyer, but I also want to have children sometime in my late 20s and I want to be there for them (i.e., not hand them off to a nanny to raise), so I'm not sure how to reconcile this...

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

How old are you now.

Its going to be really difficult, having a kid is more work then law school and medical school combined especially for the women.

james

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 06:18:03 AM »
A stay at home husband? How...masculine.

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 10:48:55 AM »
Hi, first let me say that I think it's great that you want to have a career and a family.  Personally, I want to adopt, so, it will be easier for me.

I think you may want to think about the type of law you want to practice.  And, I think a small firm would be more to your liking than a large firm.  I could be wrong, but a small firm might be more of a family atmosphere that would be understanding.  Also, doing Wills and Trusts, or Contracts might be a more flexible schedule.  Since, I am going to be in my first year myself, I could be making wrong assumptions; however, I think the basis of what I'm saying is true, which is you should think about practicing the type of law that will enable you to live the family life you want to lead.

Good luck!

Hey YankyKitten-

At this point my husband and I say no children, but we do always say that if we changed our mind we'd adopt, too!!! My brother was adopted from Korea and it was just a great experience all around.
Attending: Widener PA!!
http://www.aldf.org

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 04:44:05 PM »
Well, James, I think that the whole point here is that we are pushing the envelop on traditional masculine and feminine boundaries.

james

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2005, 06:04:24 PM »
Well, James, I think that the whole point here is that we are pushing the envelop on traditional masculine and feminine boundaries.

Ohhhh...now I get it. :D Good for him, my hero.

YankyKitten

• Take time and smell the flowers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - yankykitten
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2005, 06:16:28 PM »

hmmmm, how can I say this...   Masculinity is something you just have, not something you can aquire by having the right job, clothes etc.  That said, my husband is a contractor who has owned his own business since he got out of school for carpentry 16 years ago and he's sick and tired of the bs.  He hopes to transition into working at home with custom carpentry peices.  Plus, men seem so much more masculine when they are holding a tiny baby in their arms; I think it's the contrast.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=YankyKitten178

"The great pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot."

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2005, 09:32:58 PM »
You know, that's true.  Some men just ooze masculinity.  I used to be in the theatre, and the real men could be in full 17th Century regalia (that would include tights and heels- think Captain Hook) and still just seem so comfortably... male. 

YankyKitten

• Take time and smell the flowers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - yankykitten
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2005, 11:27:15 PM »
You know, that's true.  Some men just ooze masculinity.  I used to be in the theatre, and the real men could be in full 17th Century regalia (that would include tights and heels- think Captain Hook) and still just seem so comfortably... male. 

Lucky you!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=YankyKitten178

"The great pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot."

james

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2005, 05:03:40 AM »

hmmmm, how can I say this...   Masculinity is something you just have, not something you can aquire by having the right job, clothes etc.  That said, my husband is a contractor who has owned his own business since he got out of school for carpentry 16 years ago and he's sick and tired of the bs.  He hopes to transition into working at home with custom carpentry peices.  Plus, men seem so much more masculine when they are holding a tiny baby in their arms; I think it's the contrast.

I think it is something you can lose too.