Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: any hope for a firm???  (Read 2918 times)

lawgirlie

• View Profile
any hope for a firm???
« on: August 04, 2005, 08:51:48 PM »
I dont want this post to be taken the wrong way, I am freaking out about finding a job and just want to know what the chances really are of me finding the job I want.
I go to a good law school... top 75, I am in the top 1/3 of my class (barely) and I want a job at one of the bigger firms in a bigger city. I dont want to get TOO specific. I just dont want to end up in some tiny firm (just not my style although they are great for the people that want them)

anyone know what my chances really are? It seems as though all the big firms want are top 10% or top 20%... am I out of my league here?

thanks for any help!!!

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: any hope for a firm???
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 09:59:00 PM »
very very doubtful.

zaphod

• worst dressed sentient being in the galaxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 11:32:35 PM »
I just dont want to end up in some tiny firm (just not my style although they are great for the people that want them)

Is your style 1800 billable hours minimum per year ;)
Don't Panic

Brooklaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 12:46:27 AM »
better sign a pre-nuptual. ;)

PhoenixPSU

• Sr. Citizen
  • Villanova Law, Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 10:20:06 PM »
Just be honest.  You don't really want to work for a big firm, you just want big firm dollars.  The chances of that happening without being at least top quarter and/or law reivew are not very good.  But as top third, you should be able to get a decent mid-size firm job and after working up a reputation there for 2-3 years, you may be able to crack BigLaw.