Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Schools named after scumbags!  (Read 2764 times)

homosexual congress

• View Profile
Re: Law Schools named after scumbags!
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 06:35:30 PM »

i recently read "Team of rivals", a biography of lincoln, which makes salmon p. chase (northern kentucky u) look really petty.

vermont law school isn't named after anyone, as far as i know, but from what i hear it was founded by a con artist as a draft-dodging scheme during vietnam. actually, i think the story is kind of similar to the premise of the forthcoming movie "accepted": a school is founded as a scam, then it's forced to become real once people apply.

Doris Kearns Goodwin, Pulitzer Prize-winning historian who thoroughly researched Lincoln for his new book, Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, answers the question "What do you think of the theory that Lincoln might have been gay?" answers, "You're talking about his sleeping in the same bed with [best friend] Joshua Speed. I doubt they were having a sexual relationship. So many people of that era slept in the same bed. And letters show that other men of that time had emotionally intense relationships. Both Seward and Chase wrote letters to their male friends that were filled with affection and love. It was an era when men/men and women/women relationships were closer than those between men and women" [Diane Brown, "Abe, Honestly," AARP: The Magazine, (November & December 2005), p. 14]. You will find this well documented in the book "American Manhood" by E. Anthony Rotundo, (New York: Basic Books, 1993), especially pages 75-91.

After explaining that it was common for men to sleep in the same bed at that time, that men were free to express tender affection for one another then without fear of gossip (and noting that there is less of that in Lincoln's correspondence with Speed than in other letters of the time), that psychoanalyst and historian Charles B. Strozier said that a sexual relationship of that sort at that time would have left Lincoln "full of shame, confused, and hardly likely to end up in politics" (Ibid., p. 38), and that Lincoln spoke freely and openly of sleeping with Speed in later years which would have been unthinkable is the relationship had been sexual, he concludes, "In my judgment, these two young men were simply close, warm friends..." [Idem.]
If all Jews are bankers, then how can they be Communists too?

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2006, 12:31:52 PM »
i'm glad that burning question has been resolved!
case '09

jones06

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2006, 05:15:47 PM »
John Marshall Law School named after Chief Justice John Marshall.

What was so bad about John Marshall?

jimbean

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2006, 09:04:40 PM »
Sadly, I must report that Roger Williams law school's namesake, Ralph R. Papitto, may be changing soon. Ya see, Ralphie boy and Mario Gabelli have been indicted by the Justice Department for fraud. Ralph's company, Lynch Corp., scammed 70 million dollars from the government. He is now in talks of settling for nearly 100 million dollars.

inny

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2006, 04:29:48 AM »

After explaining that it was common for men to sleep in the same bed at that time, that men were free to express tender affection for one another then without fear of gossip (and noting that there is less of that in Lincoln's correspondence with Speed than in other letters of the time), that psychoanalyst and historian Charles B. Strozier said that a sexual relationship of that sort at that time would have left Lincoln "full of shame, confused, and hardly likely to end up in politics" (Ibid., p. 38), and that Lincoln spoke freely and openly of sleeping with Speed in later years which would have been unthinkable is the relationship had been sexual, he concludes, "In my judgment, these two young men were simply close, warm friends..." [Idem.]

I think they were gay only in the way military fags are ,,
Keepin Budlaw in law school .

uber

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2006, 08:05:08 AM »
Active-duty U.S. military motto: As gay as possible.
Jesus's been in the closet for 2,000 years. But now he's out and he's glorious.