Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to recover from my first final?  (Read 1778 times)

Adqueen

• View Profile
How to recover from my first final?
« on: August 03, 2005, 02:44:08 PM »
Took my Crim Law final last night.
All in all, it blew, I think.
I feel like I did not have an opportunity to show what I had learned. The multiple choice section was very difficult, the shades of gray in the answers were almost indiscernible to me. He had told us weíd have to pick the best answer, that more than one would be right. I can honestly say that I am only sure of getting 5 of the 16 correct.

And the essay section had very little meat to it, it was just degrees of homicide, basically. What  about conspiracy, attempt, rape, felony-murder, accomplice liability? We didnít get to write about any of those. I learned so much and the final sucked.I wish we could have used our notes or outlines or something....
And at one point he told me Iíd do fine, that I Ďgot ití and should do well! And he said he wouldnít trick us, or test us on stuff we didnít study (which I guess he didn't...)And he was such a great professor. We loved him, he was so patient with us and so enthusiastic...
And I loved class!  I feel cheated somehow.
My grade is going to suck. I donít want to be an average student, I have to do things very well or else I beat myself up.
Like now.
I actually thought, going in, I might be one of the ones to pull an A out of this class. Iím just so disappointed in myself I could cry.
Sorry to run on.
Has anyone else ever felt this way?

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How to recover from my first final?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 04:45:00 PM »
Step away from the ledge.  Relax. 

After two years of law school exams, I can think of very few that I have come out of thinking "man, I nailed that."  The great thing is that you don't have to nail it, you just have to do better than the rest of the people.  As a result, as long as you felt comfortable about your preparation going in to the exam, that is as good as you will ever feel about an exam.  In other words, if you felt like you knew the stuff well and you still felt that the exam was hard or unfair, odds are that you are not the only one, and more than likely, others came out feeling worse.  Just put it past you and go on to the next exam.

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 05:45:59 PM »
Step away from the ledge.  Relax. 

After two years of law school exams, I can think of very few that I have come out of thinking "man, I nailed that."  The great thing is that you don't have to nail it, you just have to do better than the rest of the people.  As a result, as long as you felt comfortable about your preparation going in to the exam, that is as good as you will ever feel about an exam.  In other words, if you felt like you knew the stuff well and you still felt that the exam was hard or unfair, odds are that you are not the only one, and more than likely, others came out feeling worse.  Just put it past you and go on to the next exam.

I agree..."step away..."  Put down that gun.

Relax, take a drink and try not to think about it.

As the previous post stated, you only need to do better than the person next to you.  Remember, it is not how far you are in front of the hunry bear.  It is only important that you are just ahead of the bear.

Adqueen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 07:06:30 PM »
Thanks guys, that helps. I'll try to keep some perspective....

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 06:06:41 PM »
Yeah, most of the finals I thought I did my worst on actually turned out to be my best grades.  My Pops told me that would be the case, and he was right.  Go have a glass of wine.
"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator

thinkerbox77

• View Profile
    • Email
It can be challenging for first year to do well.  However, if you have detailed outlines for each class and stick to it, you will do just fine.  My outlines have been really popular among bar takers and 1st year students.  To get your sample outline, send me your request to thinkerbox77@yahoo.com.  Sample outline is free.  You will get your FULL VERSION of Civil Procedure for FREE. 
Good Luck ALL

il Principe

• The Archon of Protocol
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 04:51:29 PM »
I had my Criminal Law exam last night as well.  I believe I over-studied.  The professor tricked us.  But I am glad he did, this time. Oh, and don't sweat it.  Have a cigar.   
"The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar" - Evelyn Waugh

Cosmoline

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 07:53:08 PM »
Gin.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 03:16:04 AM »
Hmm...has anyone ever felt bad/nervous/anxious after a law school final? I'm guessing you might be the first.

Relax, it was a joke.

Well, except for the relax part, that bit I was serious about. Generally, after my first final, the next step is to study for the next one, repeating the sequence until they're all done.

aryeal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 09:51:17 AM »
Relax, relax, relax.  Move onto the next one and don't panic until you get your grade (and even then don't panic).  Remember the curve.  Your classmates probably feel as dismal as you do. 

And welcome to the world of law school multiple choice!  Don't feel like an idiot.  Multiple choice questions in law school are not what you are used to at all.  They are shades of gray and meant to test whether you can spot the "hook".  They are sneaky and insidious.  You aren't stupid, and chances are you did better than you think.