Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Study group- Yay or Nay?  (Read 2062 times)

Ivy Man

• View Profile
Study group- Yay or Nay?
« on: August 02, 2005, 11:29:28 PM »
I just finished my first year at a T10.  I was approached a couple weeks into my first semester by people who were forming a study group.  I decided "Hey, what the heck, let me try it!" Let's jsut say I bailed out a couple weeks later.  It just didn't work for me.  Anyone else w/similar experiences?

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Study group- Yay or Nay?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 12:13:27 AM »
They can be good and bad. I did better my first semester w.o a study group. Of course, my second semester study group might not have been the best group to join. I am going to take this semester with a study group of one other. If I don't like it after my first semester, I am going back to working alone.

klaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 08:02:16 AM »
I feel like study groups do more to make you feel uncertain about yourself- that other people have concepts down and you don't. Everyone has different pacing and different learning styles, so it doesn't necessarily mean that you're unprepared just because another person in your study group is waxing poetic on a certain point of law.

Study groups just weren't for me- I've always been independent by nature and I feel that it cut into time that I could be using to look at the material more in-depth. Toward exams, I ran some stuff by one of my classmates- estates system stuff for Property, some UCC stuff for contracts, and that did help.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 08:49:47 AM »
I benefit a lot from working with my study group, but then our arrangements happened very organically.  There were no formal invitations to join.  I like having someone to sit across from while I read.  It's like running with someone else, you keep going because they are.

We don't really have any sort of planned schedule.  We just tend to show up at the same place and do our reading during the year and then maybe we schedule study sessions a bit during finals.  A loose association like that gives you the flexibility to work on what you want, when you want.  But you always know that you have people you can go to for questions or if you are having a hard time with something. 

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 11:29:26 AM »
I have a study group and it works for me.  At the begining of the year, our group works on outlines and towards finals we do pratice exams.  This seems to work well for our group.  Our group has the #1, 5, 8, 12 rankings.

However, study groups do have a tendency of getting off subject.  Our group has a rule that we get our studying done and then we go have lunch or get drinks after we are completed.

Like most things in law school, you have to find out what works good for you.  If working in a study group works for you, stick with it.  If studying on your own works for you, do that.

Ivy Man

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 02:38:21 PM »
Yup, well study groups just didn't do it for me.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 06:34:35 PM »
I prefer to work alone, but it could be beneficial for some people.

Ivy Man

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2005, 06:56:45 PM »
Hey LawGirl,

I just clicked on your blog.  It's pretty cool. What T1 are you at?

I prefer to work alone, but it could be beneficial for some people.

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005, 06:15:33 PM »
I have a study group and it works for me. At the begining of the year, our group works on outlines and towards finals we do pratice exams. This seems to work well for our group. Our group has the #1, 5, 8, 12 rankings.

However, study groups do have a tendency of getting off subject. Our group has a rule that we get our studying done and then we go have lunch or get drinks after we are completed.

Like most things in law school, you have to find out what works good for you. If working in a study group works for you, stick with it. If studying on your own works for you, do that.

That sounds great.  How did you acquire such a sucessful study group?  I am worried if I join one it will turn into junior high group projects in which I inevitably did all the work.  I am interested in joining one if I can develop one that is with organized and motivated students.  Any suggestions?

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 01:41:36 AM »
I am worried if I join one it will turn into junior high group projects in which I inevitably did all the work.
That is what I did. Let me know if you find a way to avoid such a study group.