Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Students = No Sense of Humor?  (Read 1130 times)

Bonkers, Jr.

• Meet Me At The Pier!
    • View Profile
Law Students = No Sense of Humor?
« on: August 02, 2005, 10:50:17 AM »
Is it true that law studnents have little to no sense of humor? If not, please give examples of things you think are funny.

Janna116

• View Profile
Re: Law Students = No Sense of Humor?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 11:47:41 AM »
I think this post is funny.   :-\...

I think a better way to describe it is that law students have a warped sense of humor.  Like thinking it's funny to put a hold harmless clause at the end of an advice post or thinking the word tortfeasor is funny.  Consider it a big group of inside jokes that are only funny to people who have suffered, er I mean, gone through a semester or two of law school and it may be different depending on the school.  For instance, before our Fall Civ Pro exam nearly everyone in my class was joking that they were going to end their essays with, "And If I'm wrong then I'm gonna run up the T.S. flag and call Saint Paul's..., or "and then go get some Nabs and Coke."  Don't get it? These were running jokes through class because of what the prof always said. Actually come to think of it there's also, "He thought he was getting served steak but instead he got service of process!," which is sure to elicit great loads of laughter if you can do a proper impersonation.  On a general note, I have a blog and when trying to come up with a funny name I looked for legal definitions with the word laugh in them.  To my surprise I found some but they were definitions for manslaughter.  At which point I almost named my blog "Who put the laugh in manslaughter."  Now, that's funny.

My point, you are going to start to see funny in the law.  Maybe it's a defense mechanism or a sign of brain damage from all of the binge drinking you'll be doing on the weekends but you'll begin to think certain aspects of the law are funny.  You may even start laughing at people who get run over by trains or hit with mail hooks.  This is a sign that you have truly become a hardened soulless lawyer. You'll try to share the funny with your non-law friends and family and they just won't get it.

I think if you are worried about getting into law school and losing your sense of humor then you aren't worrying about the proper things.  Worry about classes and outlines and grades.  Remember that human pain and suffering is always a great source of humor and pain and suffering is what the law school is all about.
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - George Eliot

OOBMayor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 01:02:24 PM »
Not only do many people not have a sense of humor in law school, (besides the Warp sense of humor discussed earlier) but you will find law students who lack a personality.  People with little to no social skills.  This is not accurate for everyone, but there are some people who you can't help but call a D-Bag as you walk by them because you are wondering what planet these terds are from.
Mayor

Ivy Man

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 11:23:27 PM »
Tell me about it.  I've encountered the driest of the dry at my school.

Not only do many people not have a sense of humor in law school, (besides the Warp sense of humor discussed earlier) but you will find law students who lack a personality.  People with little to no social skills.  This is not accurate for everyone, but there are some people who you can't help but call a D-Bag as you walk by them because you are wondering what planet these terds are from.
Mayor

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 12:10:21 AM »
Is it true that law studnents have little to no sense of humor? If not, please give examples of things you think are funny.

No.

1. Some 'tunes:
 a. Family Guy
 b. South Park
2. Movies
 a. Austin Powers series
 b. Naked Gun series
3. Comedy Shows
 a. Improv (live)
 b. Shows on TV
4. Life
 a. My dog cracks me up.
 b. Few funny friends

Um, what makes most ppl laugh... I guess.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 10:12:30 AM »
I think of myself as having a rather raunchy, irreverent sense of humor.  In other words, the more filth, the better.  In fact, how can anyone make it through the utter HELL of law school without possessing a sense of humor?  I do not want to even contemplate the horror of not having a sense of humor.  Here's a partial list of the things that bring me to tears from laughing so hard:

1.  Penn and Teller
2.  South Park
3.  Anything Trey Parker and Matt Stone have created (Team America, f*ck yeah!)
4.  Married With Children
5.  George Carlin
6.  Dave Chappelle
7.  Chris Rock
8.  Reno 911!
9.  Austin Powers series
10. Robin Williams

etc. etc.

blake840

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 07:23:34 PM »

Things I Think Are Funny:

1. Anchorman
2. Family Guy
3. Other law students (most of them are super-nerds)
4. Brian Regan
5. The Simpsons
6. Blind Date
7. Aqua Teen Hunger Force
8. All of Will Farrel's movies/tv appearences
9. Watching my friends get drunk
10.Jack Black

I have met people who will be 1Ls with me in the fall and they are pretty lame.Nerdy looking, acting, and overall unattractive. I think, from what I have seen so far, is that it is going to be exactly like high school.  There are the kids who were the nerds then and still are, and they are dry and awkward.  Then there are the people who were pretty normal, fit in to the crowd, possibly popular (and attractive). 
Uconn Law 1L.

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 08:44:12 PM »
  Remember that human pain and suffering is always a great source of humor and pain and suffering is what the law school is all about.

I guess I am a very humorous person.
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."