Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hardest 1L Class?  (Read 5755 times)

Godot

• View Profile
    • Email
Hardest 1L Class?
« on: August 01, 2005, 09:35:46 PM »
This Fall I'm taking Civ Pro, Property, and Torts. Anyones take on which is hardest and why? Anything easier than the rest?
LSAT private tutor

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Hardest 1L Class?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 09:38:09 PM »
Civ Pro.  It's more technical and much less theoretical than any of your other classes.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 10:10:47 PM »
Have fun with Property and those future interests.
check the footnotes ya'll

Janna116

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 11:14:49 PM »
Out of your list it's hard to say...

If you are rules oriented you might like Civ Pro, memorize, memorize, memorize those statutes. Or as, my beloved Civ Pro 1 prof used to say, "See this blue book (The Federal Rules of Civil Procedure Supplement), open it, it won't bite."

If reasonableness is your game, Torts defaults to a reasonable person (as does Contracts.) Most of Torts seems to be based on common sense (And I said most of, not all.)

Do you miss the logic games on the LSAT, do you find yourself wishing you had a reason to figure out which day Sally eats meat and Fred eats Fish?  Then you might like Property or you might like the future interests/remainders/crazy ways people leave things to their families in wills.  The reverse is true if you aren't the type of person who likes A, B and C then the class will probably not be easy for you.

If you ask the right three people they will probably say three different things.  It all depends on what kind of a learner they are and what kind of prof they had.  But the truth is all of the classes are hard...law school is hard.  Hopefully my description of the classes and the things you'll be learning will help you decide which one you feel will be the hardest for you.   

Good luck with classes and congrats on starting law school!

Jen
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - George Eliot

Godot

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 11:19:38 PM »
Thanks Jen!!
LSAT private tutor

MidWestLawGril

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 10:08:30 AM »
Property was the first time I didn't understand a subject right away.  I thought I knew what it felt like to have a learning disability.  Argh future interests and Rule against Perpetuities.  Who writes their wills like that anyway?

I give this land to A for life, then to B as long as there is not a liquor store on the land, if there is, then to C, but if not then to D after B dies. Ha ha.

joe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 10:21:22 AM »
I had trouble w/Torts.  The others were fine.

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 11:51:34 AM »
Torts is fun.
Civ Pro is just a bunch of rules.  Just follow the rules and you'll be fine.

Property is definitely the hardest.  Future interest, covenants, landlord-tenant, RAP, easements, takings...oh fun.

klaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 01:04:27 PM »
I thought Torts was the hardest, though it was fun. Lots of gray area and different rules of law depending on the jurisdiction. We had more cases in Torts than any other class during 1L. Property has a lot of new stuff to learn, different terms and language, but I didn't find it too difficult. Civ Pro is basically learning the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure- jurisdiction, etc. is pretty easy stuff.

Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 01:37:54 PM »
No legal writing?????? What law school? Maybe I should've went there. Legal writing is by far the most demanding class I took my first year.