Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which school should I attend?  (Read 1290 times)

newbie2424

• View Profile
Which school should I attend?
« on: July 30, 2005, 07:27:38 AM »
I was accepted as a transfer to both Hofstra Law and NY Law School .... Just looking for some help from anyone.  I am very confused about which to attend.  Thanks.

Brooklaw

• View Profile
Re: Which school should I attend?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 12:07:34 PM »
I'm not an expert on anything, but i've heard good things about both law schools. If it were my decision, i would go to NYLS just because it's location (I'm from NYC) seems centrally located for everything, including job searching. There are just different things that everyone takes into account when choosing a school. for me my list, in order of importance was:

MOney: How much scholarship, how long will i be repaying. I'm actually attending a lower ranked(T2/T3) school even though i was accepted into a upper T2.

Law school rep: self explanatory.

Campus: I never attended a school with any kind of campus, so it was something i wanted (for many people, this is not a consideration)

Location: I really wanted someplace nice and warm, so i could relax and not have to worry about freezing my ass off in the winter.

Now someone may look at that list and scoff, others may have felt the same way as i did, but i think you have to make up your own list as to what is really important to you. Neither Hofstra nor NYLS is highliy ranked, an they are both technically NYC schools, so that is even. I don't know what the job prospects are for both, but i would susspect that NYLS has better numbers on paper (not always the facts though).

Like i said, if i had to make the choice, i would do NYLS. I think ppl can do well coming from there at the top of their class.

HTH 

newbie2424

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 08:01:48 AM »
Thanks for the reply ... it was definitley very helpful.  One last question though, does anyone think NY Law will make it to the second-tier and stay there?  I hear they have been moving up the ranks rapidly.

btideroll

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 09:01:05 AM »
I don't really know if that would even matter. The state, and well, the northeast in general has many law schools and thus innately has more competition. I don't really see how moving to a T2 would matter considering you are having to contend with several ivy leagures AND NYU + Columbia right on your dootstep.

Then again that isn't to say they are any smarter, they just were the lucky few who had the LSAT and the "amazing" life experience to make them get accepted. I've seen graduates of the Trinity and they made me wonder how they even survived undergrad much less law school. You should still be able to land a decent job just because the market is huge and all of the "Elite" school students are gobbled up by alumns anyway.

Go where you will feel most comfortable. Go where you can afford it financially and mentally. I wouldn't be caught up to much with ranks unless you are planning to move across country or something.

goodluck

http://cacheofreason.blogspot.com/

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 02:50:02 PM »
Flip a coin?

It sounds like you can't go wrong either way.  I agree with the above post.  Go where you feel comfortable.

james

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 06:15:19 AM »
I was accepted as a transfer to both Hofstra Law and NY Law School .... Just looking for some help from anyone.  I am very confused about which to attend.  Thanks.

Flip a coin.

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 12:12:04 PM »
I don't really know if that would even matter. The state, and well, the northeast in general has many law schools and thus innately has more competition. I don't really see how moving to a T2 would matter considering you are having to contend with several ivy leagures AND NYU + Columbia right on your dootstep.

You're absolutely right.  And don't forget the other respected New York schools - Fordham, Brooklyn Law, Cardozo and (arguably) St. John's. 

choose NYLS over Hofstra - its location alone makes for better opportunities.