Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Family Law Internship  (Read 547 times)

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Family Law Internship
« on: July 29, 2005, 01:34:28 PM »
I have an opportunity to intern at the court's family law section.

Has anyone done this?  Any pros/cons?

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Family Law Internship
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 08:58:33 PM »

What would you be doing?  What level of responsibility would you be getting?  Are you interested in family law?

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 02:01:12 PM »

What would you be doing?  What level of responsibility would you be getting?  Are you interested in family law?

I would be working at the Family Law Self-help Center.  Not sure of my responsibilities but I am guessing that I would be assisting the pubic in disso, custody and other family law matters.

Yes I am interested in family law.  Knowing the rate of disso and custody disputes in CA, there are tons on clients.  Also, it is a good way to get "court time." 

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 09:05:15 PM »

I would be working at the Family Law Self-help Center.  Not sure of my responsibilities but I am guessing that I would be assisting the pubic in disso, custody and other family law matters.

Yes I am interested in family law.  Knowing the rate of disso and custody disputes in CA, there are tons on clients.  Also, it is a good way to get "court time." 
then it sounds like the perfect gig for you.  be sure to investigate what specific reponsibilities and duties you will have.  you generally want the type of experience that will afford you the most independence, so you should find out what this job consists of (i.e., will you be doing intake, case management, research, representation in court?) and compare it to the other options you have.