Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does "Planet Law School" really tell it like it is?  (Read 781 times)

Robin

• View Profile
Does "Planet Law School" really tell it like it is?
« on: July 29, 2005, 10:47:58 AM »
According to the book, my first year classes are going to consist mostly of bull**** sessions that are just passing the time until the final. The book says that professors love to tell you "not to worry about the rules"... but come exam time, you're nailed by a big ol' test on Black Letter Law (whereas in class all year you've done nothing but talktalktalk). Do they *really* play "hide the ball?"

Robin

(about to be 1L)
LSAT: 160
GPA: 2.29
Applying to Mississippi College

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Does "Planet Law School" really tell it like it is?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 11:42:12 AM »
Hide the ball is the name of the game. It's not college. There are no more lectures and just regurgitate it back on your exams. You teach yourself the law. Hence the importance of doing your outline, working on practice exams and hypos outside of class.

Like schwing said, some do and some don't. There was a prof at my old school who like to do policy in class and teach in an abstract way. I asked a former classmate about the final exam and she told me it was online. I had a chance to check it out a few days ago. It was the typical law school exam and it required a lot of black letter law. It wasn't a policy exam which I'm sure the people in the class expected. There are plenty of threads and posts on this board for you to read about the law school experience. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't realize that the daily stuff that goes on in class isn't always reflected on the exams until they open the exam book.

Then on the other side, there are professors who do hypos in class, who give black letter law definitions and that might come across as helpful. You have to pay extra attention in those classes. But it's still hide the ball. The cases are heavily edited and leave things out. So just be aware of the game before you start law school. Accept it for what it is and depend on yourself and study smart. Good luck.