Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any OCU students out there?  (Read 6067 times)

trouble

• View Profile
Any OCU students out there?
« on: July 28, 2005, 04:32:51 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone out there could give me some low-down on the profs at OCU - who's tough, who's tougher... Anyone??... Anyone??...
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

trouble

• View Profile
Re: Any OCU students out there?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 10:39:07 PM »
Anyone?  Bueller??  Fry???
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 02:51:43 PM »
Hi.  I have been accepted for 06 to OCU and am considering attending.  I wondering if there were any current OCU student willing to share their experiences at the school.   

Thanks in advance.

2005_2L

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 07:50:55 PM »
Congrats on getting accepted!  You mentioned that you were considering attending - what other schools are on your list?  I'm a 2L at OCU, so feel free to ask me questions about what it's like here...

Dante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 08:58:12 PM »
Congrats on getting accepted!  You mentioned that you were considering attending - what other schools are on your list?  I'm a 2L at OCU, so feel free to ask me questions about what it's like here...

The other school I am considering is University of Tulsa.  I haven't heard from U of Tulsa yet, but need to remain in the area for my wife's job.  I was just wondering what you could tell me about OCU, what the students and profs are like, how bad the curve is on a person (hoping it isn't another Cooley etc.), and if you enjoy attending in general.  Any other information you think I might want to know would be great.  Thanks in advance!

2005_2L

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 10:01:43 PM »
For the most part, I've been happy at OCU.  It's a pretty relaxed atmosphere, but there is still some competitiveness.  How much seems to vary with each incoming class.  Most of the professors are good (if you do attend I can give you the scoop on any that I've had), but I did have one that about drove me up a wall, to put it nicely.

Sounds like you're in a similar situation to me - I had to stay in the OKC area to go to law school because of my husband's job.  I got in to both OCU and OU, and chose OCU in part because I didn't want to drive from Edmond to Norman every day, and in part because OCU offered me more scholarship $$.  Two of my professors from undergrad went to OCU law, and they also influenced my decision to attend here.

I'm not exactly sure what the grading curve is, but it's somewhere in the C range.  Some professors are easier than others, of course.  I have basically a B- average and am in the lower part of the top 25%.  When I get a chance I'll post the grade distributions from my classes last spring so you can get an idea.

If you have more specific questions let me know!  Also, Trouble (the one who originally started this thread) is a 1L, I believe, so she may be able to help too.

Dante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 10:50:42 PM »
For the most part, I've been happy at OCU.  It's a pretty relaxed atmosphere, but there is still some competitiveness.  How much seems to vary with each incoming class.  Most of the professors are good (if you do attend I can give you the scoop on any that I've had), but I did have one that about drove me up a wall, to put it nicely.

Sounds like you're in a similar situation to me - I had to stay in the OKC area to go to law school because of my husband's job.  I got in to both OCU and OU, and chose OCU in part because I didn't want to drive from Edmond to Norman every day, and in part because OCU offered me more scholarship $$.  Two of my professors from undergrad went to OCU law, and they also influenced my decision to attend here.

I'm not exactly sure what the grading curve is, but it's somewhere in the C range.  Some professors are easier than others, of course.  I have basically a B- average and am in the lower part of the top 25%.  When I get a chance I'll post the grade distributions from my classes last spring so you can get an idea.

If you have more specific questions let me know!  Also, Trouble (the one who originally started this thread) is a 1L, I believe, so she may be able to help too.

Thanks for the insight...I really appreciate it.  I am hoping to hear from Tulsa tomorrow.  I didn't apply to OU because I really didn't have the numbers for there, but thought OCU and Tulsa would still be decent schools.  I am about midway between both, so to a large part where I attend (assuming I get accepted to Tulsa) will depend upon how my campus visit goes. 

Anyway, thanks again, and good luck with the rest of the year.  Maybe I will see you at OCU next year.