Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: President of my Law School student senate?  (Read 3696 times)

Mary

• View Profile
Re: President of my Law School student senate?
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 10:41:52 AM »
Ok, this may sound nuts I have always wanted to do the commencement speech at graduation.  No, I'm not emulating Elle Woods.  I had just heard the Pres of the SBA is sometimes elected and besides the experience I want to get- I've also wanted to speak at graduation. :-\

klaw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 01:09:09 PM »
Usually the president of the SBA is a 3L, so you have plenty of time for that. SBA basically doles out the money and runs some happy hours. I think that most lawyers realize that, so if you're looking for prestige, you're probably better off gunning for moot court or law journal. SBA people at our school are the gregarious. I think the speech thing really depends on the school- I think at my school all the speeches are given by those who have excelled in particular areas at the school, be it in academics, journal writing, oral advocacy or public interest. The SBA might have some role in commencement, but I'm not aware of it.

Mary

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 10:23:33 PM »
Thanks klaw!

Usually the president of the SBA is a 3L, so you have plenty of time for that. SBA basically doles out the money and runs some happy hours. I think that most lawyers realize that, so if you're looking for prestige, you're probably better off gunning for moot court or law journal. SBA people at our school are the gregarious. I think the speech thing really depends on the school- I think at my school all the speeches are given by those who have excelled in particular areas at the school, be it in academics, journal writing, oral advocacy or public interest. The SBA might have some role in commencement, but I'm not aware of it.

Ivy Man

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 11:16:27 PM »
Why are you so obsessed w/speaking at graduation?  You're not even a 1L yet and already you're thinking of graduation??? ???

Thanks klaw!

james

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 06:05:10 AM »
Obviously she is a psycho.

Mary

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2005, 08:02:00 PM »
Because it's something I've always wanted to do.
What's the problem w/that???

Why are you so obsessed w/speaking at graduation?  You're not even a 1L yet and already you're thinking of graduation??? ???

Thanks klaw!

Mary

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2005, 08:03:34 PM »
Yeah and you're obviously a troll judging by your last 4 posts that are ridiculous one liners.

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2005, 08:06:54 PM »
I start law school in the fall.  I already know that I am interested in this position.  Do any 1L, 2L's or 3L's know anything about running for this?

I wasn't part of student government in hs or college so does that hurt my chances of being 'experienced' so to speak?

Also, is the President of the senate the class speaker at graduation?

You probably have to finish your first year before you are eligible for that sort of thing.

james

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2005, 05:06:11 AM »
Yeah and you're obviously a troll judging by your last 4 posts that are ridiculous one liners.

Thank you for coming down to my level. That was easy.

Ivy Man

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2005, 10:31:21 PM »
 ;D

Thank you for coming down to my level. That was easy.