Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

See conditions in my message before voting...

Wake Forest
 10 (47.6%)
George Mason
 11 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Which sport is best for lawerly schmoozing  (Read 1615 times)

GatorLCA

• View Profile
    • Email
Which sport is best for lawerly schmoozing
« on: July 27, 2005, 10:15:10 PM »
I've heard recently that lawyers often play racquetball and squash as a networking tool. However, I always thought tennis and golf were more popular sports for lawyers. So, I am curious (as an incoming 1L who knows little about racquetball, and nothing about squash), what sports I should try to brush up on? which sport is most popular in your office or law school?. Do you need to be good at these things in order to network and make the connections everybody talks about as being so essential to practicing law? Just curious.

Painting101

• Sr. Citizen
  • 164/ 3.55
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sgtpeper82
    • View Profile
Re: Which sport is best for lawerly schmoozing
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 11:19:24 PM »
I've been working at a law firm since January.  My ability to obliterate the partners at foosball has given me celebrrity-like status.
Pitt is it!

ghsv81

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 11:28:12 PM »
Though my advice is more business orientated then for aspiring law students, connections can never hurt... there are only four main sports that a would-be successful lawyer/successful business-person or wanna be "yuppies" should take part in... 1) Golf (obvious), 2) Yachting (note I didn't say sailing lol), 3) Tennis (when your not on your boat at the yacht club or driving the ball at the country club) and finally... 4) Skiing (when your boat is in dry-dock in the dead of winter and your in the Alps/Rockies but you still need to impress lol)... I hope most realize that sarcasm and truth play a role in this post

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 11:28:29 PM »
There's really a sport called squash? I though that was just a joke.

ghsv81

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 11:34:26 PM »
squash and raquetball are sports but reminds me too much of the movie "Wall Street" with a shout out to Michael Douglas and Charlie Sheen of the 80's... the main difference of the sprts being the type of ball you play with or so I have heard lol

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 11:42:26 PM »
Wait... weren't they playing handball in that movie?

ghsv81

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 11:48:58 PM »
wow too many cocktails at my local yacht club to remember I might have been wrong... though I doo think its squash

joe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 12:46:11 AM »
Golf works for everything.

HTH

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 10:26:03 AM »
Golf, golf, and more golf.  I used to work in a place where nothing got done if it didn't get done on the golf course.  I got tired of feeling left out, so I took lessons and now I can beat the boys.   ;)

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 10:55:48 AM »
actually, i was just thinking about this topic (specifically golf and tennis). since i'll be starting 1L next month and won't have that much money to blow, i've decided to focus all of my athletic efforts on tennis (the cheaper of the two sports). as for yachting and the esoteric sport of squash, i won't start worry about that until i master tennis and golf first.

Yeah, I am all about tennis. It is probably the only sport I actually enjoy playing. Uh, except for pool. I ROCK at pool, but I think I picked the wrong career for that one.
Attending: Widener PA!!
http://www.aldf.org