Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U of Toledo - Orientation  (Read 4360 times)

BB137

• View Profile
U of Toledo - Orientation
« on: July 27, 2005, 07:53:14 AM »
Hey all, I hope everyone is enjoying their last few weeks of freedom. I am starting to get really excited about school, did everyone receive their orientation packet? I have a quick question because maybe I missed something. The cases that were attached to the package, what were the purpose of those. Do we need to read those beforehand, or it is just a way of the school introducing us to materials we can expect to read on a daily basis. Just wondering, I hope everyone enjoys the rest of the summer on I will see you all on the 17th.

Frappe

• View Profile
Re: U of Toledo - Orientation
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 10:28:50 AM »
Hey all, I hope everyone is enjoying their last few weeks of freedom. I am starting to get really excited about school, did everyone receive their orientation packet? I have a quick question because maybe I missed something. The cases that were attached to the package, what were the purpose of those. Do we need to read those beforehand, or it is just a way of the school introducing us to materials we can expect to read on a daily basis. Just wondering, I hope everyone enjoys the rest of the summer on I will see you all on the 17th.

I don't have the packet in front of me, but yeah I think we're supposed to read that case for the Methods and Exam taking class or something like that. I know it says it somewhere, maybe on the schedule.

emarejay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 09:38:11 PM »
Cases? I got a case about Kroger firing a temp worker who wanted workers comp.

We should all go out to dinner or something one of the nights. Im spending the weekend after orientation and before classes in Vegas getting everything out of my system.   ;D

Comm-Law

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 08:05:14 PM »
I have a quick question because maybe I missed something. The cases that were attached to the package, what were the purpose of those. Do we need to read those beforehand, or it is just a way of the school introducing us to materials we can expect to read on a daily basis.

As I understand it, orientation is going to include a brief (very brief) class on "how to study/prepare for class".  The case that they included in our orientation material will be discussed during this orientation class.  We are instructed to read, understand, and prepare to discuss this case for our orientation.  If you read the orientation packet, you will see that we will have to check the buliten boards at the law school after we receive our class schedules.  There will most likely be reading assigned BEFORE the first day of classes.  (so take those books to Vegas with ya)

- Comm-Law

emarejay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 03:37:04 AM »
I spoke with a prof a week ago and he told me that I should expect short reading assignments for all of my classes. He said that it will total about an hour worth of work for each first class. I guess don't worry too much about it because that doesnt sound too bad.

emarejay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 03:42:28 AM »
Some of you might enjoy hearing this so Ill post it...

Ive worked at a nice golf club in oakland county michigan for the last 7 summers and have met a lot of attorneys that play there. I spoke with one tonight that just retired at 52 and was a partner in a big firm in bloomfield hills. He told me that they hire toldeo grads in genaral above any other regional school (except for Umich, but including wayne state) and said that I "will be set" if I do okay there and want to work in Michigan.

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 10:14:00 PM »
Haven't posted in a while... I am now officially a married man and live in Toledo.  Did I really leave Michigan for Ohio?  Well anyway, I'm all set and ready for orientation.  I've been here in Toledo four days and am starting to learn the area.  If anyone wants to grab a beer or go out after orientation I'm all for it, hell, I'm not doing crap for the next two weeks anyway.  Also, I am a lame ass and therefore also in the transitional program.  I know exactly what you mean... I think it's easier to concentrate when all you have time for is school work.  Everyone enjoy the last few weeks.

BTW - I live on Airport just east of Byrne, where is everyone else at or going to be?

Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 10:49:18 AM »
Congrats on the wedding Yorba. Yes, you did leave MI, but at least the gas is cheaper down there. And, Toledo was part of Michigan (from a Michigander's point-of-view) until 1836. At least we got the U.P. in trade, so I'll take that anyday of the week. See you at orientation, and I'm sure we'll go out one of those nights.