Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do big firms hire from their support staff??  (Read 733 times)

sfgirl15

• View Profile
Do big firms hire from their support staff??
« on: July 25, 2005, 12:44:42 PM »
I'm just curious, but does anyone know if big law firms will hire you on as an attorney (once you get your degree, of course) after you've been working there as a legal assistant/paralegal/secretary??  The reason I ask is that I'm going to an evening program, but I've heard that big firms frown upon evening students...but I was wondering if I were to get my foot in the door another way, would they give me a chance??

Any input would be helpful...thank you.

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Do big firms hire from their support staff??
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 12:58:45 PM »
There are some paralegals who go to law school at night and their firms is paying partially for school. If a firm pays for school then you usually have to work at the firm or company 2 or 3 years after you graduate if you don't want to stay or you have to pay the firm back. I don't know if you're at a firm or if your firm is helping to pay for law school.

It depends on what evening program it is. Most of the people in Georgetown's part time program have government jobs during the day. Or if you go to a city that has only law school that has an evening program like SMU, then going part time isn't a problem. Also University of Houston and Loyola in LA has respected evening programs. It depends on the school and the location of the evening program. But it shouldn't be a problem if the big law firms have hired people from the school before. HTH.

I'm just curious, but does anyone know if big law firms will hire you on as an attorney (once you get your degree, of course) after you've been working there as a legal assistant/paralegal/secretary??  The reason I ask is that I'm going to an evening program, but I've heard that big firms frown upon evening students...but I was wondering if I were to get my foot in the door another way, would they give me a chance??

Any input would be helpful...thank you.

nekko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 07:18:54 PM »
I think it's really dependent on the firm. I've known paralegals who went to law school and came back as associates but they went to top schools so would've been in the running in any event (although they were also given 1L summer spots which they probably would not have got had they not worked as paralegals prior). One of my friends works at a big firm with a branch in SF where he says they indicated to him a willingness to hire someone they thought was impressive paralegal wise who was in a night program. I think in determining whether a "big firm" would be willing you'd have to look at the qualifications of the attys. there. If they are all Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc. people  then the odds of getting hired there are unlikely if coming from a night program regardless of whether or not you're a paralegal there. If the background is more like Santa Clara, USF, etc. and the attys. you talk to there don't really seem focused on law school then I think you'd  have a very good shot at getting hired there if they liked you as a paralegal. I'm not sure if this is helpful or not.

uagirliegirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 03:07:20 AM »
A current professor at Loyola Law School in LA was a paralegal while attending law school.  She was hired on after she graduated, worked for a few years, and is now a professor.  If it worked for her, it could work for you.  But, I'm sure this depends on the firm.  If they like you and think you're bright, I'm sure they could make it happen.