Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: August 15th.  (Read 5223 times)

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
August 15th.
« on: July 23, 2005, 08:37:40 PM »

Any on this board going to NYLS?

If so have you started studying, I've already read the Aspen Primer on Tort law and it has enabled me to make a pretty in depth outline for the course including most of the Black Letter Law on the subject.

Just recieved my advanced week reading assignment seems pretty straight forward.

Please respond if you are starting NYLS in august.

Thank you.

flecktone

• View Profile
Re: August 15th.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 11:24:51 PM »
It makes absolutely no sense to do an outline of a class before you even have a syllabus.  Torts is a huge body of law.   Professors must pick and choose which topics to focus on, and no two professors will cover the same material.   Outlining at this premature stage of the game may serve as good practice for when you need to develop the actual outline for your Torts final come December, but you will likely find your efforts were not worth the trouble. 

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 02:31:18 PM »
I didnt find outlining troubling in the least bit.  Yes you are right the outlines are specific to the professor and course.  Hey where you able to find any outlines for NYLS professors online?

flecktone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 12:12:12 PM »
I'm glad you didn't find outlining to be troubling.  I guess I just meant that it is probably not worth the time and effort.

I don't know of any online source for NYLS professors' outlines, but if you ask around among people who took a course, you may get someone to share.  Be careful, though, I encountered a lot of people who were very generous about sharing their outlines, which is good, but the outlines were poorly done, which is bad. 

It sounds to me like you are more than capable of developing your own outline as the course progresses, which is the best way to go anyway. 

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 02:37:26 AM »
are you an entering 1L

flecktone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 09:26:51 AM »
I'm a 2L

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 03:33:14 PM »
did you have any of these professors

Harris---Torts
Purcell--Civ Pro
Leonard--Contracts

also what did you think of your first year?

flecktone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 07:45:02 PM »
No, I did not have any of them, although I know several people who had Purcell for CivPro and had good things to say about him.  I had Leonard for one of my orientation seminars last year - very personable and a very highly regarded expert and advocate for gay rights.  Who do you have for Applied Analysis, Legal Research, and Legal Writing? 

First year was hard - law school is hard, no question.  It took most of the first semester to adapt to everything - the intensity, the pressure, the hours, everything.  By the second semester, I felt like I had a handle on how to work smart, but there's no getting around the 12 to 16-hour days in the library studying for finals.  My lowest grade in college was a B+ and I graduated Summa with a 3.95 GPA.  In my first semester, I got my first C ever.. a devestating wake up call.  Finished the year by grading onto Law Review, so I feel I have redeemed myself. 

Good luck on Monday.  I start classes on the 22nd, so I'll be getting as much sleep as possible next week.

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 08:54:48 PM »
Hi Fleck:

Thanks for the response.

Yes I anticipate the long hours of studying and am looking forward to it.  I graduated from NYU my GPA was only 3.3 however I got A's in my double majors Poli Sci / Philosophy.Just didnt bother studying for my other classes as much.
 I got a 163 on the LSAT that whcih I took in Feb.  I just was fed up with my job and decided to goto law school which i was originally going to do after NYU but needed to live my life and start to make money.

Congrats on making Law Review.

I believe i've gotten a head start by reading primers on torts and contracts. Did you read Planet Law School or do any studying prior to your first year.

Thank you,
David

flecktone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 11:14:56 AM »
Yes, I read PLS, Law School Confidential, Delaneys, and anything else I could get my hands on.  I also got the LEEWS CD's and Getting to Maybe which I feel were the best.  I cannot over-emphasize the importance of concentrating on test-taking strategies.  Spend as much time on practice finals as reviewing and outlining, and you will do fine.  The legal reasoning will come to you naturally and there is a lot of memorization.  Pretty much everyone will have approximately the same level of knowledge and understanding at the end of the course, but the most important thing is to be able to demonstrate your skills better than the others.  You will probably get a lot of Getting to Maybe type advice in Applied Analysis, which I thought was a bs course, but looking back, it addresses what I'm saying here.