Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: "Law In A Flash" Cards  (Read 2080 times)

JonR0921

• View Profile
"Law In A Flash" Cards
« on: July 23, 2005, 11:59:36 AM »
Someone on Ebay is selling a set of 12 boxes of Law In A Flash cards.  When asked how old they were, he responded that he bought them in 1996.  I'm going to be a 1L this Fall, and from alla coounts, the cards would be helpful to me.  Should I grab these 12 boxes at the amazing price that he has set, or are they too old to be worth anything?

Thanks.

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: "Law In A Flash" Cards
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 12:24:20 PM »
What are the subjects?

Someone on Ebay is selling a set of 12 boxes of Law In A Flash cards.  When asked how old they were, he responded that he bought them in 1996.  I'm going to be a 1L this Fall, and from alla coounts, the cards would be helpful to me.  Should I grab these 12 boxes at the amazing price that he has set, or are they too old to be worth anything?

Thanks.

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 12:25:14 PM »
I'd say two things...First, you may not want them because, as you alluded to, they may be too old.  I don't know how much the law has changed but it surely has in the last 9 years.  

Secondly, while I was excited about LIAF for the first month of school (I bought a CD for each course), they turned out not to be worth their price.  They do have some great hypos and black letter law etc. but all in all I found that they didn't define terms the way my professors often did.  In addition, the cards often covered material we didn't deal with.  If you have the money to burn, the recent set might be worth it...perhaps.  If this set you mention is also amazingly cheap it might be worth your while but make sure the law is correct.  Good luck!

JonR0921

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 12:27:26 PM »
Civ Pro 1 and 2; Con Law; K's; Crim Law; Crim Pro; Evidence; Real Property; Sales (UCC Art. 2); Torts; and MPRE 1 and 2

mediocrels

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 12:31:50 PM »
Do not buy the whole set.  Try to buy ones that were published in 2000 or more recently.  The ones I, and others, have found most useful are Evidence and Real Property. Ask around for other suggestions.  Do not rely on them exclusively.  Be sure to have an outline and take good notes so that you know what your professor thinks is important.  I like the LIAF cards because they allow me to supplement the class material throughout the semester and during finals.  Good luck

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 01:32:08 PM »
I agree with the other posters about the flash cards in general. The Sales cards are old. The new cards have been updated and are Cd. Some of those cards aren't even first year subjects. It depends what the price is for the flashcards. But don't rely on them exclusively. Also some people in law school make their own flashcards for subjects like EFI. But the flashcards can be helpful for additional hypos to work on.

Civ Pro 1 and 2; Con Law; K's; Crim Law; Crim Pro; Evidence; Real Property; Sales (UCC Art. 2); Torts; and MPRE 1 and 2

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 03:00:24 PM »
Do not buy the old set.  Wait for a new set to show up on Ebay after state bar exams are over, which is when a lot of people sell them.  I got mine in August for $175 (15 subjects, I think). 

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 11:20:53 AM »
I used them for Civ Pro and Evidence -- the more "rule based" classes, and found the hypos useful. I agree with the others, though, on going for the newer cards.

Janna116

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 01:20:46 PM »
Also keep in mind that Aspen prints the Flashcards and Aspen also prints Emanuels.  I found identical short answer questions in Emanuels as were in my flashcards.  Definitely don't buy both because they will be redundant. 

On the plus side, I found the Torts cards most helpful and the Contracts least helpful.  I had Torts, Contracts and Civ Pro.  The little memory aids they give you are helpful, I still remember the memory aid for International Shoe and Service(Service involved the 7 Dwarfs)  If you plan on studying with a study group for exams they break the monotony of reading outlines and at least you can socialize and learn somthing at the same time.  I guess it depends on the prof if they are helpful or not and my Torts prof didn't cover any intentional Torts so about 1/4 of the deck was useless. 

If you are looking to save money there were a few 2Ls selling the flashcards at the end of the semesters, you may be able to get last years version for a discount price from an upper level student but you probably won't be able to get 12 sets.
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - George Eliot