Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer from T4 to T1 Definitely Possible!  (Read 5733 times)

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
Transfer from T4 to T1 Definitely Possible!
« on: July 21, 2005, 11:13:09 PM »
I just wanted to share some success stories from my school to inspire those with hopes of transferring up.  Going from T4 to T1 is definitely possible!

I just finished my first year at a 4th tier in California.  Everyone told me that transferring anywhere was nearly impossible, much less to a first tier school.  Well, not only did I beat the odds, but so did several other students at my school.  I was accepted to the University of Florida (along with Mercer and Samford, T2 and T3 respectively - and am still waiting on several more schools), two of my friends were accepted to UCLA, another was accepted to Michigan, and another was accepted to Loyola-LA (not sure if they're T1 or T2).  Additionally, I know of several students who were accepted to other local T3 and T4 schools.

Sounds like other people on here have had good luck with transferring as well.  I just wanted to share what I knew from my school to show that transferring from a T4 to a T1 is definitely possible.

Good luck to everyone trying to transfer!
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer from T4 to T1 Definitely Possible!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 11:41:13 PM »
Congratulations!!! Are you on the yahoo transfer board too? Someone on there got into these same schools. University of Florida is a great school. Were you in the top 10% of your class?

I just wanted to share some success stories from my school to inspire those with hopes of transferring up.  Going from T4 to T1 is definitely possible!

I just finished my first year at a 4th tier in California.  Everyone told me that transferring anywhere was nearly impossible, much less to a first tier school.  Well, not only did I beat the odds, but so did several other students at my school.  I was accepted to the University of Florida (along with Mercer and Samford, T2 and T3 respectively - and am still waiting on several more schools), two of my friends were accepted to UCLA, another was accepted to Michigan, and another was accepted to Loyola-LA (not sure if they're T1 or T2).  Additionally, I know of several students who were accepted to other local T3 and T4 schools.

Sounds like other people on here have had good luck with transferring as well.  I just wanted to share what I knew from my school to show that transferring from a T4 to a T1 is definitely possible.

Good luck to everyone trying to transfer!

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 09:28:43 AM »
Yes, I'm in the Yahoo Group.  No, I wasn't top 10%.  I was top 15.8%, but UF actually made the decision before they even received my rank.  I was really involved at my first school - SBA, elected President of The Federalist Society for next year, on a faculty committee, etc.  I also had two really good recs from professors (I've seen both) and one from the judge I worked for this summer.  There are a few other T4 students that got into UF - one from Florida Coastal, Nova, Cooley.  UF seems pretty transfer friendly, I think they took 36 this year from the list I've seen.  They also have to make decisions early because they start the bidding for their OCI early and want transfers to be a part.  I suspect that's why they went ahead and admitted me without rank.  I had sent some materials from my school showing what GPA was required for Dean's List and Honor Roll (both of which I made) and what GPA cutoffs were for graduation honors, so I guess that was enough for them.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

jjason

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 07:10:37 PM »
Congratulations! You are a reflection of your own individuality and abilities rather than that of the T4 law school's reputation. A perfect example. I enjoy the Yahoo! group also.

emarejay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 12:08:41 AM »
Curious:

Did Michigan consider your friend's LSAT or do you know if it was really high? Id kill to transfer there next year, but my LSAT isn't anywhere near their level.

arioso

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 12:49:49 AM »
As a rule of thumb, top 15% and up is guaranteed transfer to a prestigious school, even if they currently attend a 4th tier school.

lawgirl21

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 03:31:09 PM »
where are you getting that statistic???  and by prestigious what do you mean??  Top 25? Top 50?  Can you be a little more specific as to your statement?  Not trying to be a pain, just doing research on my chances of transferring
GPA: 3.6
LSAT: 154, then 159

katrina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 04:31:34 PM »
The OP is correct, lawgirl21! I guess you can transfer even to a top first-tier school, especially if you are like top 5-10%. 
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office

lwr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 04:48:42 PM »
Then, katrina, it appears the OP was NOT correct! :)

am

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 06:15:51 PM »
I was really involved at my first school - SBA, elected President of The Federalist Society for next year, on a faculty committee, etc.

This must have really helped!