Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: International Law  (Read 1456 times)

scottxmacdougall

• View Profile
    • Email
International Law
« on: July 20, 2005, 11:54:06 PM »
Hey I'll be a 1L in the fall. I'm looking to concentrate on International Law. Can anyone share some experiences they've had with I.L. classes and/or experiences in the field? Thanks

klaw

• View Profile
Re: International Law
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 07:56:47 AM »
Glad to see someone else on here with an interest in international law! While we don't have "concentrations" per se at my school, there are tons of opportunities in international law, including  a terrific study abroad program. I'm a 2L and in spring semester I'll be headed for Asia, where all of my coursework will be in international negotiation, human rights, and comparative law. My school also has a program where one can get an LLM with only an additional semester of coursework. This summer I'm working with a international law group that is contracted with the Iraq constitutional commission to assist with research and legislative drafting. Other soon-to-be 2Ls that I know with an interest in international law are working for UN agencies and other non-profits, or are research assistants with professors. Plenty of us have our eyes out for firms that specialize in international negotiation and development.

As far as 1L goes, there usually is not much opportunity for coursework in the field (though some schools allow students to take International Law as a spring elective), but I'm sure there will be plenty of lectures on international topics with lawyers and other professionals in the area. Most schools seem to have an international law journal that you can attempt to write-on in spring and I would say that all schools have an International Law Students Association or something comparable.

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 10:19:12 AM »
I'm taking International Law this fall.  I'll be sure to post all my ranting about it on this thread.   :D

niki1244

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 02:26:57 PM »
Scott - I believe both you and I are headed to Widener PA this fall and I too am interested in International Law. 

For those of you who may have graduated or are getting ready to - I have background in two non-English languages and am hoping at some point (obviously not first year) to brush-up on them.  How important is being fluent in a foreign language when emlpoyment time in the international field comes around?

klaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 10:44:52 AM »
I think French is a huge asset, since the two big languages of the UN are French and English. As far as I know, if you're planning on working abroad, some firms and organizations require fluency in the native language of the country you are working in. However, if you're planning on doing international law primarily at an American firm, it's not as important, I have heard. But it can never hurt to brush up if you already have a background in the language.

IrishAces

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 12:00:06 PM »
Saying you want to do international law is about as descriptive as saying you want to be a lawyer.  I took international law this year.  The fact is that international law encompasses almost every other area of law.  It's unlikely that you're going to be a generic international law lawyer.  At most, it may mean that you'll be doing tax law with an international slant, or international trade law, or international human rights law.  There are even some well respected lawyers who think that there is no such thing as international law.  I disagree, but I think it's a serious misperception that incoming law students have that saying you want to do international law does much to define what it is that you actually want to do as an attorney.  The key is figuring out if you want to be a trade lawyer, a litigator, a human rights attorney, a tax lawyer, a corporate lawyer, a securities lawyer, etc, etc.  The international flavor of it is secondary to the actual area of law itself.

niki1244

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 06:39:59 PM »
Sorry I wasn't more specific Irish.  I am very interested in International Trade and Corporate law.  I am well aware that "International Law" is very vague and all encompassing. 

I do have a background in French as well as in Russian.  Good to know - thanks!

scottxmacdougall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 09:56:52 PM »
Another question I have regarding Int'l Law is whether or not it helps to study abroad for a summer or semester? I'm looking to focus on international trade law as well. Thanks for all the comments so far.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 10:46:17 PM »
What about international copyrights and trademarks?  Since I'm really into Japanese cartoons and such things, I'm thinking it might be more fun than other specialties.  Of course, I should probably tae up Japanese while in law school *continues to study his Hiragana*.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

Dunkelzimmer

• AOL Instant Messenger - Dunke1zimmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005, 06:49:45 PM »
Hi there all,

I am also an incoming 1L.  I was wondering how one goes about procuring a study abroad program.  I understand that some schools have these and others don't.  And for those that don't it would be necessary to look into programs offered by other schools.  Are there respectable organizations that establish international exchange/study abroad programs designed for law students?
      Also, I am also curious how effective studying abroad for law school would really be?  I have studied in France as an undergrad, and that was one of the most exciting acamedic/life experiences of my life.  But law school is (as far as I am concerned) much more focused, would it render the same results? I.e., will I be able to get valuable internships at the EU, or the UN etc etc?
      I am also originally raised in Asia, so I (like many on this thread) am looking to develope my legal skills towards a more international arena, either in Europe or in Asia.  I have a tenative idea of where I want to go, but any suggestions and tips are more than welcomed.

Cheers,
Going from a Slug... to an Aggie.  Davis '08

"MAN PROPOSES, AND GOD DISPOSES." -TOLSTOY