Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 12" or 15" Powerbook?  (Read 962 times)

othius

• View Profile
12" or 15" Powerbook?
« on: July 20, 2005, 03:04:19 AM »
Hey folks, I'm def. buying an apple laptop but kinda unsure of which to get 12" or 15" powerbook. Basically I think the 12" is great for portability, and small size. 15" is great because of screensize and for further down the road, it's more upgradable. I don't know if the 15" will end up being cumbersome or if it'll be just fine. So yeah, kinda torn, and ideas? Suggestions? personal preferences, anecdotes, fireside stories?

Thanks!

Jaimalia82

• View Profile
Re: 12" or 15" Powerbook?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 10:05:55 AM »
I went with the 12" and I love it so far.  I don't mind the small screen.  The 15" was tempting, but I just didn't want to lug it around with me, even though it's not much heavier.  It's just my personal preference, but I'm very happy with the 12" Powerbook.

abdulf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 02:51:28 AM »
go 12"

screen size is highly overrated on a laptop. especially for law students. unless you play video games while doing your notes.

get the 12", your shoulder will thank you for it.

ChrystalSMU

• AOL Instant Messenger - PrLncessChrystaL
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 11:49:27 PM »
The 12 inch would have been my first choice, but unfortunately I have very poor vision and the 15 inch is a better fit..So unless you have poor vision like I do, I would definitely go with the 12 inch.

Southwestern2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 11:59:53 PM »
The 12" is definitely more portable. However, the 15" is definitely not "cumbersome." I have a 15" TiBook, and I have no problem carrying it around, though I guess 12" would be easier. Note that some people have complained about the quality of the screen on the 12", comparing it to the iBook screen. The 15" screen definitely seems sharper overall. If the screen doesn't bother you, you might even consider an iBook. Apple just released new ones today that look mighty tempting, and at half the price of the AlBooks.

The Powerbook G4's are marginally more upgradeable than the iBooks. No laptop is really all that upgradeable. In terms of ports, unless you do lots of high-end video/audio work, you ought to seriously consider an iBook. The money you save by not having all the bells and whistles can be used for more useful stuff, like more RAM or Microsoft Office or Airport hubs and whatnot.

Whichever you decide to get, do get a sleeve for it. You'll want the added protection because they scratch up easily. You can get one for around $25, made of neoprene. Also, consider getting something to protect the screen when closed. The keyboard will mash the screen and leave marks otherwise.

PM me if want to know more. I apologize for the choppy post but I'm trying to outline for a paper.

MR2Tyler

• Vrroom.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MR2Tyler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 11:54:33 AM »
I'm a 12" iBook owner, and I'm going to have to put in a vote for the 12" PowerBook.  My iBook has been beautiful, and I don't regret the purchase in the least.  However, I have had some minor fit and finish problems.  After six months of ownership with very light use, two little bits and pieces (one of the feet from the bottom and one of the little bumpers from the LCD-surround) have fallen off, and the touchpad button has developed a weird, intermittent squeaky noise.  The plastic has also started to stain to a small degree.  I also feel a little encumbered by having only 30GB of storage, though that's certainly fixable.  I would still recommend the iBook over any non-Mac laptop, but based upon my experience I would probably go for a 12" alBook if I had it to do over again.

Just to make sure, you are aware that SecureExam, ExamSoft, and other similar software is typically not OS X compatible?

-Ty
Won:  Idaho ($$)
Lost:  USC, UW, UC Davis (Whipped like a Yugo in F1)
Still Racing:  W&M