Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hastings or Davis...I need some quick advice  (Read 1255 times)

Krisace

• View Profile
Hastings or Davis...I need some quick advice
« on: July 20, 2005, 12:59:22 AM »
Hey, I just got accepted as a transfer student at Davis and Hastings.  I own property in Sacramento.  Anyone have any advice?

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hastings or Davis...I need some quick advice
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 01:41:19 AM »
First, congratulations. Well Davis is ranked 32 and Hastings is 38. Davis has a little more respect than Hastings. But Hastings places well in NoCal. You can't go wrong with either school. If you have property in Sacramento, how far is it from Davis? 30 min? It sounds like you have a good set up for going to Davis. The area that Hastings is in isn't as nice as Davis. And living in Davis is cheaper than living in San Fran. It also depends on what you want to do. If you want to do public interest, Davis has a good program. If you want to do tax/business law, Hastings had a good program. If you can, go visit both schools that should seal the deal for you. Again congratulations on both your acceptances.

Hey, I just got accepted as a transfer student at Davis and Hastings.  I own property in Sacramento.  Anyone have any advice?

blaze.1

• yellow snow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 04:07:40 AM »
I went to undergrad at UC Davis and grew up in San Francisco.  As far as reputation, I think the schools are pretty close and graduates can expect to compete for the same jobs.  That being said, I think the Davis campus is nicer and newer than Hastings. 

I think its more a lifestyle decision.  Me personally, I love SF and can't wait to get back...
Attending: Temple

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 10:02:05 AM »
Thanks, yeah I suppose the biggest thought on my mind is whether going to Davis will put me at a disadvantage at all for jobs in SF.  I question whether both schools have the same rep in the City or whether there is a Hastings bias.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 01:45:45 PM »
Davis will probably be cheaper.

Hastings means you have the SF Civil Court and the 9th circuit court of appeals in walking distance from school, as well as a whole lot of law firms just a short MUNI ride away.

A couple things to consider outside of rankings.

Qbert duck mom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 02:48:27 AM »
As far as cost of living, parking is cheaper in Davis, but cost of housing has sky rocketed in the last few years.  I was in the same situation and personally would of choosen Hastings unless you seriously have a problem with living in SF.  It has a better reputation all throughout N.CA including Sacramento.  Plus it pumps out a lot of future judges which, even if you're not looking into for a career option, is still good for contacts.
165/3.4
Accepted off Waitlist: W+M, UC Davis, and W+L
In at Tulane, Hastings, Indiana Bloomington, Rutgers, Baylor, Seattle, and Oregon
WL and then rejected (thanks for wasting my time....can ya tell I'm bitter?) --> Boston U and WUSL. Quickly becoming a psycho law school applicant!

anoddduck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 07:58:17 PM »
Thanks, yeah I suppose the biggest thought on my mind is whether going to Davis will put me at a disadvantage at all for jobs in SF.  I question whether both schools have the same rep in the City or whether there is a Hastings bias.

My opinion:

If you plan to work in SF, pick Hastings.

If you plan to work in Sacramento, pick Davis.

Its about as simple as that.

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 03:22:01 AM »
Well, I wish it were that simple but in the last couple of days I have heard that both schools have very similar reach to the City (SF) job market...with a very slight edge to davis.  Does anyone know differently?

nekko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 12:14:27 PM »
Oddly I have heard some attys. think of Davis a bit more highly than Hastings but by and large most of the SF attys. I've met have said that Hastings is more well regarded.  They're about equal but I think if there's any edge it's with Hastings rather than Davis. If you do really well at Hastings I think you're in a much better position than if you do really well at Davis.

Bonkers, Jr.

• Meet Me At The Pier!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 02:10:47 PM »
The schools are relatively close in rankings, Davis a little better. But the factors to consider are obvious:

--Do you want to live in a big city or in the middle of nowhere?
--Do you want to get a job in SF or Sacto?
--Does being near that house you own help you in some serious way (financially, etc.?)
--If you are financially strapped, Davis would be lots cheaper (not tuition-wise, but rent-wise.) But then, if you work during school, you'll make more in SF.

Both schools have good clinical opportunities. I would choose Hastings in a heartbeat, because I would never want to live in Davis.