Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ladies- where are you suit shopping?  (Read 6271 times)

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Ladies- where are you suit shopping?
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2005, 09:00:03 PM »
ladies, just got a gorgeous garfield & marks from nordstrom.  thank you, anniversary sale!  with alterations and everything, just a little under 400 bucks.  this will, of course, be my prestige-whoring suit. ;)

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2005, 11:01:45 AM »
All my suits are Tahari.  Originally it was coincidence, but now it's on purpose.  They are the only suits that fit me perfectly, as is, and they're also economical.  I've had some of my Tahari suits for almost 2 years and they've held up great!  I got some of them from TJ Maxx (which is a store I actually hate shopping at, but they mark Tahari suits down to $50 after they've been on the rack a few weeks) and the rest are from Loehman's online (where they're $100-150).  Every single suit fits me the same, so I can order online and be confident it'll fit when it gets here. 

And I'm with the previous poster who said to stick with skirt suits.  My aunt is a recruiter at a big firm and she said to stick with basic colors (black, navy, grey, brown - and pinstripes are ok) and always pick skirt suits.  Don't forget that the partners in these firms are OLD men and many of them think it's unprofessional for a woman to wear pants.  It may be stupid, it may be archaic, but I'm closeting the pants until I actually have the job!
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

YankyKitten

• Take time and smell the flowers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - yankykitten
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2005, 12:53:53 PM »
I would like to concur with the above poster about skirt suits, and to wear them until you get the job.  I've had four women "power lawyers" advise me to do the same thing.

Oh... and I found a great wardrober at Casual Corner $289 marked down to $99 (black with white pinstripe).
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=YankyKitten178

"The great pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot."

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2005, 05:32:14 PM »
I just got the most KICKIN' suit at JC Penney.  It's black polyester and makes me look like a skinny beeotch!  Best of all, with the big clearance sale they're having right now, I paid $35.99 for this $160.00 suit.  Thanks for the inspiration, ladies!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

YankyKitten

• View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2005, 06:45:17 PM »
I picked up some nice dress pants, shirts and sweaters at JCPenney too, which is how I was planning on dressing during my first year.  I only bought the suit for presentations and such.  My question: is this type of casual dress acceptable?  I'm kind of a T-shirt and jeans girl, but you have to dress appropriately.  What do others think is appropriate for law school?  I have had split answers on this subject from my mentors.

Janna116

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2005, 06:55:13 PM »
I can't speak for everywhere but at my school, Wake Forest, we all pretty much wear what we want.  This could be nice slacks and sweaters or it could be jeans, a T-shirt and flip-flops.  The best thing to do is find out from someone who is already a student at the school where you will be attending.  I think books like One-L and the Paper Chase give people the impression that they should all wear dress pants and blazers but I think the world has changed a lot in 30 years, or at least it's pretty casual at Wake.

Jen
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - George Eliot

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2005, 07:30:52 PM »
I picked up some nice dress pants, shirts and sweaters at JCPenney too, which is how I was planning on dressing during my first year.  I only bought the suit for presentations and such.  My question: is this type of casual dress acceptable?  I'm kind of a T-shirt and jeans girl, but you have to dress appropriately.  What do others think is appropriate for law school?  I have had split answers on this subject from my mentors.

I agree with janna.  Law students, from my experience, dress much the same as people in undergrad.  People at my school who "dress up" are often perceived as trying too hard to impress, gunners, etc.  Relax and wear what you would normally wear. 

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2005, 08:39:50 PM »
The suit is strictly for job interviews.  That's all.  I'm a jeans and sweats kind of gal.

3.0 (3.82), 166

YankyKitten

• View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2005, 09:27:02 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone!  ruskiegirl, who perceives them as gunners, fellow students, instructors, or both?  Just curious, because one of my mentors is one of the former deans at the law school I'm attending, who was promoted to the President's office.  She felt jeans, tees and sweats while in school was fine; however, another instructor, who hires from the law school, thinks it is a disgrace to dress that way while going to law school.  Just to put things in perspective, the former dean is a woman, the instructor is a man.  Any more thoughts anyone?

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2005, 09:37:10 PM »
I think you should wear what makes you feel comfortable.  As long as you follow the military rule of 'clean, dry, and serviceable', you should be fine.  Don't wear dirty jeans with holes in them, or plastic flip-flops with nasty toenails.  Remember, being neat and clean is a sign of respect (according to my mom). 

3.0 (3.82), 166