Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ladies- where are you suit shopping?  (Read 6166 times)

daley

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ladies- where are you suit shopping?
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 10:23:27 AM »
I've also gotten some great deals on Tahari suits at TJ Maxx and Marshall's.  My fav was only $50. ;D

tingirl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 10:31:16 AM »
50 bucks? Ok, I'm TJ-Maxxing it this afternoon.

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 10:56:08 AM »
I am shopping at Nordstrom, Macy's and BCBG for my suits.

I am getting a jacket transfered in from another store and if I like the overall fit, one of the suits I will be getting is a Garfield & Marks black skirt suit with muted pin stripes.  It's on sale for about $400, so I think with tailoring and everything it will be a pretty good deal for a high quality suit.

For pant suits, I will probably pick up a couple of BCBG suits -- one navy and one grey.

If you want a good deal on something a little cheaper, Ann Taylor has a good sale on business peices right now.

anoddduck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2005, 08:03:11 PM »
I recently picked up four suits:

(1) Pantsuit, taupe, Ann Klein, from Nordstrom Rack.  Normally $360, on sale for $80
(2) Pantsuit, black with blue pinstripes, Ann Taylor Loft, from Outlet.  Normally 200, on sale for $40
(3) Pantsuit, Ann Taylor Loft, black with red pinstripes, from Outlet.  Normally 200, on sale for $70
(4) Skirt suit, Ann Klein, light mango, from Outlet.  Normally $360, on sale for $50

(I figure the darker colors are good for interviews/office, while the lighter colors are good for slightly less formal occasions and summertime...)

tingirl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2005, 11:05:13 AM »
Last night I bought an Anne Klein black pants suit and a brown wool blazer from Loehmann's online. The pants suit was 150, the blazer was 60. So now I'm going to have to get a black skirt. All of the skirt suits I found had pencil skirts, which do not look good on girls packing a lot of thigh, like moi. The plan is I'll buy a black A-line when I need it. Is it tacky to go to interviews in pants?
BTW suit designers must think women want to look like circus tents. Too many teal and pink options, not enough plain old black! When I'm an established name, I'll throw on a teal satin number, but until then I need more muted choices.

cburkedavis

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2005, 02:49:23 PM »
my favorite suit store is Talbots.  They have sizes anywhere from petites to womens, and multiple different styles.  my friends and I all have different builds, but this is one place we can actually shop at together.  If you catch them when they are having a sale, or hit their outlet, the prices are pretty reasonable.

If you're buying suit pieces separately, make sure the fabrics match pretty closely.  You'd be surprised how noticeable it can be if a black jacket and a black skirt and/or pants don't really match! ;)

Colleen

uagirliegirl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2005, 04:17:14 PM »
jcrew has great stuff.... i ordered about 7 suits online from them last january.  if you pay full price (i.e. don't buy a sale item) then you can get free alterations in the store.  also, if you call the 800 number they can give you precise measurements on the suits. i paid about $100/blazer and $100/pant... also, they offer dresses and skirts (even a-line skirts)... everything is awesome.  good luck suit shopping! it is such a pain!

Jaimalia82

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2005, 02:09:37 PM »
I just bought 2 suits at Casual Corner over the weekend (my Mom made me check it out, because I never thought to go there).  They fit well (pants are actually long enough!) and, to top it off, you get a 15% discount with your Triple A card.  So if you're a member of Triple A, I highly recommend looking there!

cburkedavis

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2005, 05:36:05 PM »
I used to love casual corner, and own about 5 suits from there, but after about 6 mos. to a year, all those suits started to come apart.  The fabric literally started shedding.  Hopefully you'll have better luck with them than I did!

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2005, 09:41:45 PM »
I bought a pair of slacks (80 bucks on sale)from Talbots that fell apart the first time I wore them.