Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ladies- where are you suit shopping?  (Read 6161 times)

tingirl

• View Profile
Ladies- where are you suit shopping?
« on: July 19, 2005, 11:57:20 AM »
Where have the girls on this board gotten good deals on suits? Have you ever shopped online for a suit? What's the most you've spent on a suit and was it worth it?

g825

• View Profile
Re: Ladies- where are you suit shopping?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 03:22:36 PM »
I have a Tahari suit that I got on sale at Macy's or Hecht's for about $120 or so. I forget how much they are regularly, but usually can find them on sale a lot. The only problem is you can't mix sizes, so the pants are a little weird and high waisted which I can't stand. But other than that, it looks good on.
I almost bought one from J Crew but would end being close to $400 and the suit was really heavy. Perfect for winter but not for spring/summer. Ebay might be a good option to get it cheaper, b/c they really fit well.

divineangst

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 03:32:08 PM »
Brooks Brothers is having a huge sale right now, and they still have some good suiting left.  I think they still have pieces in many sizes of the black lightweight wool suit.  I got a navy pinstripe suit from them, but I think they're out of jackets.

The sale is 50%, which is a terrific deal for Italian wool and free tailoring (any BB store will tailor any BB suit, whether you bought it at the store or online).

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 05:40:31 PM »
The book, The Millionaire Next Door, says that most millionaires buy their suits at JC Penney.  I can live with that.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

Coffinberry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 06:43:00 PM »
JCPenney is exactly where I found mine... finding skirted suits with long enough skirts is impossible! But their Worthington collection offers suits with skirts that go midcalf. Hoorah!

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 08:13:28 PM »
Kaufmen's has had some great sales.  I've bben able to find 350$ suits for 70 bucks.  Also like Ann Taylor, but it can get pricey.  I need petites, so I really have had much success elsewhere.

tingirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 11:30:03 PM »
I was checking out some Tahari suits-- did you get yours tailored? They look cute online. I was thinking about going to Loehmann's to search for deals. Did you all go with wool or acrylic? I would really like to get a lightweight wool if I can- I'll feel like I'm getting my money's worth then.

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 11:39:32 PM »
Macy's always has the Tahari suits on sale. Usually, they can alter them on-site for not much extra.

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 09:25:24 AM »
I got a great winter suit on eBay for $20.  I'm a little taller than average, so if I'm buying online, I stick to skirt suits to keep the necessary alterations to a minimum.  For pant suits, I'm a JCPenney/Bon-Ton girl.  I have no need for anything special. 

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 10:09:01 AM »
Even the most expensive suits look bad if they don't fit well.  A good bargain is made even better if you spend the extra money to have it tailored.

I've worked at a few law firms, and it's always frustrating to see a female attorney in a baggy, ill-fitting suit.  Tacky.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166