Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CIA--Summer Law Clerk  (Read 4724 times)

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
CIA--Summer Law Clerk
« on: July 18, 2005, 10:26:50 PM »
Summer Law Clerk

Work Schedule: Full Time
Salary: $50,590

The CIA Office of General Counsel has a Summer Legal Clerkship Program that allows a small number of exceptionally qualified law students to obtain broad exposure to the practice of intelligence law. Although the Office makes no commitment with respect to future employment beyond an individual's summer clerkship, each participant may be evaluated for future employment at the conclusion of the program. Whether continued employment will be offered is entirely discretionary, and will be based upon the individual's entire resume package, performance as a summer law clerk, the availability of entry-level attorney positions and overall budgetary constraints.

The Office of General Counsel provides advice and guidance to those officers and employees within the CIA who have specific responsibility for the conduct of US Intelligence activities. It should be noted that the CIA is a foreign intelligence agency, not a law enforcement agency, and is expressly prohibited by law from having any police or law enforcement powers, or internal security functions.

OGC handles a wide variety of legal issues, including, among other things, both civil and criminal litigation, foreign intelligence and counterintelligence activities, counterterrorism, counternarcotics, nonproliferation and arms control, personnel and security matters, contracting, finance and budget matters, tax, immigration, international financial transactions, corporate law, copyright, intellectual property, foreign and international law, and legislation. The Office of General Counsel consists of attorneys with a variety of backgrounds and experience. Generally second-year law students are hired for the position of Summer Law Clerk. A commitment of at least 10 weeks' duration during the summer is required.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interested students should send a resume, law school transcript, legal writing sample, and the names and telephone numbers of three legal references to:

Summer Legal Clerkship Program
Office of General Counsel
Central Intelligence Agency
Washington, DC 20505

All applicants must successfully complete a thorough medical and psychological exam, a polygraph interview and an extensive background investigation. US citizenship is required.

ALL POSITIONS REQUIRE RELOCATION TO THE WASHINGTON DC METROPOLITAN AREA.

An equal opportunity employer and a drug-free work force.
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: CIA--Summer Law Clerk
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 10:59:22 AM »
We could tell you more...but we would have to kill you.
Air Force JAG Corps

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 12:33:27 PM »
My sister's husband used to work for a head hunting firm that hired for top secret government positions. The problem was that he wasn't allowed to know what the jobs were because they were top secret. To make it worse, a lot of people who applied couldn't tell him what they had done in the past that made them qualified to do the job they were seeking.

Sounds like fun.

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 01:44:01 PM »
My sister's husband used to work for a head hunting firm that hired for top secret government positions. The problem was that he wasn't allowed to know what the jobs were because they were top secret. To make it worse, a lot of people who applied couldn't tell him what they had done in the past that made them qualified to do the job they were seeking.

Sounds like fun.

Have you met any of our 'salesmen' yet?     :)
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

stuvxyz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 01:27:40 PM »
Assuming that this position is posted on the 1L job board, they accept 1L apps, but is this the case to your knowledge?

favor24

• The countdown begins...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 05:37:49 PM »
Every year, the OGC aims to hire five to eight summer clerks (all 2Ls; they donít allow 1Ls into the program, not because they donít want to, but because, as a practical matter, 1Ls canít apply before the spring semester, and the CIA screening process can take up to nine months). The weekly salary for summer clerks is around $700, and you have to be able to work for at least ten weeks. The clerkship gives you a broad exposure to the practice of intelligence law.

http://www.cia.gov/ogc/contact.htm
Every obstacle presents an opportunity to improve our condition.