Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Career--CIA attorneys  (Read 16247 times)

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Career--CIA attorneys
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2006, 01:19:51 AM »
why does it have to be liberal? i would think if it has to be anything, it's conservative. the conservatives are the ones who thrive on the "scare" factor.

I should have guess you were a close-minded conservative. See the pre-law post on baby whining and how it relates to republicans.
check the footnotes ya'll

BoredAtWork2112

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2006, 02:39:38 AM »
You are retarded if you believe this story.  As someone that works in government and has gone through the clearance process, that is the biggest crock of liberal propagandist bull I have ever heard.

Since you don't work for the CIA, you wouldn't really know about their specific security process, would you?

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2006, 10:01:33 AM »
Actually, I consider myself a moderate.

Not working for an agency doesn't mean never going through their clearance process are two totally different things.  Not to mention that anybody that had gone through it would know that it is a classified process and disclosing the information obtained is illegal.
Attending GW in Fall '06

plaintext

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2006, 11:22:10 AM »
Actually, I consider myself a moderate.

Not working for an agency doesn't mean never going through their clearance process are two totally different things.  Not to mention that anybody that had gone through it would know that it is a classified process and disclosing the information obtained is illegal.

unfortunately, if you're working for a different agency, it means exactly that... any more stories to tell?  :D

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2006, 11:24:18 AM »
Actually, you are incorrect.  Agencies offer "conditional offers of employment."  Once you receive one you go through the clearance process.  Keep pretending like you know what the hell you are talking about moron.
Attending GW in Fall '06

BoredAtWork2112

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2006, 02:31:11 PM »
So you failed the clearence process? 

Well, that means you probably didn't see the whole process.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2006, 02:37:30 PM »
Polygraphs are shaky areas.  They involve alot of "grey area."  Without going into much detail, they don't look for lying or not lying, they look for deviations and highly rely on physiological factors.  I have taken more than one and both passed and didn't pass.  Its stupid to call it fail, because its not really failing.  Sometimes they just can't get a good read on you for certain questions.  If that is the case, then they can't hire you. The CIA uses a lifestyle polygraph that is much more in depth than many other ones.  However, it doesn't mean *&^% in the grand scheme of things.  Its not like the results can haunt you from other employment, unless of course you didn't disclose being a drug dealer or a terrorist.
Attending GW in Fall '06

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2006, 02:39:57 PM »
So you failed the clearence process? 

Well, that means you probably didn't see the whole process.

The bottom line is the process is one of non-disclosure.  Like many government agencies, and aspects of the interview process, you sign a document stating you will not disclose what went on during your screening. It is against the law to violate that.  The stories mentioned are bull.  Believe what you want.  I don't see any of you finding out one way or another anyway considering most people going to law school aren't going to be gunning for an SCI clearance.
Attending GW in Fall '06

BoredAtWork2112

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2006, 02:43:26 PM »
Well, clearly the story being told dealt with the lifestyles section of the poly.  Even with non-disclosure docs, stories spread.  Are they often exaggerated? Sure.  But you cannot outright dismiss them as bull as you have here.

I would also point out that, as I'm sure you know, the content of the polygraph will differ from test to test.  Surely some test-givers go into more depth in the lifestyle section that others, depending on the answers given.

plaintext

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2006, 05:04:54 PM »
Polygraphs are shaky areas.  They involve alot of "grey area."  Without going into much detail, they don't look for lying or not lying, they look for deviations and highly rely on physiological factors.  I have taken more than one and both passed and didn't pass.  Its stupid to call it fail, because its not really failing.  Sometimes they just can't get a good read on you for certain questions.  If that is the case, then they can't hire you. The CIA uses a lifestyle polygraph that is much more in depth than many other ones.  However, it doesn't mean *&^% in the grand scheme of things.  Its not like the results can haunt you from other employment, unless of course you didn't disclose being a drug dealer or a terrorist.

correct, they don't use the poly to determine truthfulness.. they're looking for deviations for the sake of looking for deviations.  "Hey Joe, look there's a deviation!  there's another deviation!  Holy cow, a positive deviation!  Wow, Billy, look at the EMG response!  he's sweating like a pig, look at the  BP response!"  the CIA doesn't want people with physiological devations..