Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Career--CIA attorneys  (Read 17020 times)

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
Career--CIA attorneys
« on: July 18, 2005, 10:11:16 PM »
Work Schedule: Full Time
Salary: $57,715 to $135,136*

The CIA Office of General Counsel is recruiting highly qualified new and experienced Attorneys at the GS-11 to GS-15* range to join its exciting and challenging legal practice. Our practice provides the opportunity to interact with a wide variety of US Government agencies, Congress, Federal and state courts, and the private sector. OGC lawyers have regular contact with other Intelligence Community agencies, the White House, the National Security Council and the Departments of Defense, State, Justice, Treasury and Commerce.

OGC handles a wide variety of legal issues, including, among other things, both civil and criminal litigation, foreign intelligence and counterintelligence activities, counterterrorism, counternarcotics, nonproliferation and arms control, personnel and security matters, contracting, finance and budget matters, tax, immigration, international financial transactions, corporate law, copyright, intellectual property, foreign and international law, and legislation.

The CIA's personnel screening process generally takes from six to nine months to complete. Graduation from an ABA-accredited law school and active bar membership from any of the 50 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, or the US Virgin Islands are required.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The CIA is an equal opportunity employer, and all interested applicants are encouraged to apply. Please send a resume, law school transcript, legal writing sample, and the names and telephone numbers of three legal references to:

Administrative Officer
Office of General Counsel
Central Intelligence Agency
Washington, DC 20505

All applicants must successfully complete a thorough medical and psychological exam, a polygraph interview and an extensive background investigation. US citizenship is required. For more information about the CIA Office of General Counsel, please see our website.

ALL POSITIONS REQUIRE RELOCATION TO THE WASHINGTON DC METROPOLITAN AREA.

An equal opportunity employer and a drug-free work force.

"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

($)

• View Profile
Re: Career--CIA attorneys
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 02:40:12 PM »
tag

katrina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 04:34:36 PM »
The salary they get you started at is ridiculous!
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office

spouse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 09:03:00 AM »

terapist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 07:35:59 AM »
The salary they get you started at is ridiculous!

You think everyone will be able to go to biglaw to earn big bucks?! Well, my dear, you're so mistaken!

martina

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 09:35:41 PM »
Now this is funny! For a lousy salary of 35-50K and 40 - 60 hrs a week! HA!

While great grades and Law Review don't hurt you, they aren't mandatory. The CIA likes to see great paper credentials, but they stress that they hire the "whole person."

http://www.cia.gov/ogc/best.htm

erstes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 02:06:04 PM »
Don't you think you have misunderstood what you've quoted, martina?!

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 03:10:41 PM »
No matter how you look at it, it is a low salary.  I work for the government now and am on a career ladder.  Right now I am a GS-9, as of August I will be a GS-11, and as of the following August a 12.  By the time I finish my 4 yr. part time program I will be a 13 with some steps.  If I stay with the government I will likely keep my salary rather than go back down to their starting salary. 

Nonetheless, keep one thing in mind.... Working for the feds isn't about the money.
Attending GW in Fall '06

mendeleiev

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 05:23:21 PM »
Don't you think you have misunderstood what you've quoted, martina?!

I for one don't think so, erstes! I mean, when they say "While great grades and Law Review don't hurt you, they aren't mandatory" what do you think they really mean, that most likely than not you do not need to have them in your transcript?! And don't get me started about that "whole" person thing!

bstbnd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 10:56:01 PM »
Some of you guys here have quite an attitude!

As for attorneys on government schedule

GS-11: $43,680-$56,784
GS-12: $52,350-$68,053
GS-13: $62,253-$80,926
GS-14: $73,564-$95,629
GS-15: $86,532-$112,490

Locality payment of 11.49% included.