Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JD MBA?  (Read 480 times)

blaze.1

• yellow snow!
    • View Profile
JD MBA?
« on: July 18, 2005, 09:04:18 AM »
Anyone out there considering a JD MBA?  What are your thoughts on the dual degree in terms of career path?

Yes, I've heard the argument about sacrificing one year of salary to finish the mba but what about salary after a few years in biglaw?  Assuming that one goes into biglaw, my initial thoughts are that salaries are pretty similar for the first few years.  However, what if you jump to an in-house corporate counsel position?  Does the mba help?  Does it help you get paid more??  I believe this is the point where a jd mba becomes compelling...

Thanks for your thoughts.
Attending: Temple

btideroll

• View Profile
Re: JD MBA?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 11:47:13 AM »
I'm a Finance Major. I'm doing the JD/MBA.

Luckily for me I completed 15 hours of the 30 hour MBA before Law school (Starts in a few weeks). So I only have 3 years of school left--including 2 more business classes only.

I worked full time and did MBA evening program to get experience while holding a job in a Law Firm.

But from the standpoint that most people considering the degree see it: Yes it will be 4 years. The extra year may put you one year behind in Salary, but when you consider you can clerk and be working during those 2-4 years and that by the time the 4th year comes around you can probably take evening MBA classes (if available) you will still be making money.

I'd say its worth it if you enjoy business and it more than likely opens more doors if you are into business law and maybe even want to be in-house for a Fortune 500.

G'luck