Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Evening program and working a REAL job i.e. career  (Read 937 times)

sataniclawlove

• View Profile
    • Email
Evening program and working a REAL job i.e. career
« on: July 15, 2005, 12:30:45 AM »
Can anyone share their experiences being a part-time/evening 1L and actually working a real career as well?  I don't want to hear, oh I worked at the Gap as a shift supervisor and did the evening program and rock'd it.  Project manager, accountant, engineer, stock broker are what I mean when I say REAL job above.  A real career is something that you could potentially do and be very successful at the for the rest of your life. 

Many thanks! 

P.S. Hope I didn't offend any GAP or retail employees.  :D

sataniclawlove

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Evening program and working a REAL job i.e. career
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 03:02:27 PM »
Yeah I thought about doing the MBA, but I just, for whatever reason, don't want to.  Maybe I'm disfunctional, but I already have an MS and getting *another* masters just sounds unsavory. 

Thanks for the insight.

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 04:18:10 PM »
Yes, I work full time at a large company and been doing so for more than 10 years before I decided to attend PT evening law school.  What do you want to know?

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 04:35:21 PM »
Tagging for my unreads. I work a corporate job and make more money now than I am likely to make as a newbie attorney. Still, the company will pay for law school and I have always had an interest in it. I figured I may as well.

I have two young daughters at home, one with some serious medical problems. My wife has graciously allowed me to go to evening LS 3 nights a week (starting up in about 6 weeks here). I wonder if she'll be as understanding after the firt semester?  ;D

angelus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 04:12:24 PM »
Why isn't a supervisor at the GAP a real job? A real job is one that pays bills. Far too often people take @-#-$-% jobs because they need to survive and don't have the time or resources to find something better.

Besides. If you are a stockbroker, CEO, whetever then why bother becoming a lawyer?

For many becoming a lawyer is a gateway to an actual high paying career.

StrictlyLiable

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 08:46:55 PM »
Can anyone share their experiences being a part-time/evening 1L and actually working a real career as well?  I don't want to hear, oh I worked at the Gap as a shift supervisor and did the evening program and rock'd it.  Project manager, accountant, engineer, stock broker are what I mean when I say REAL job above.  A real career is something that you could potentially do and be very successful at the for the rest of your life. 

Many thanks! 

P.S. Hope I didn't offend any GAP or retail employees.  :D

How about using the search function and reading the 20 other threads on this topic?

nymike999

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 04:46:46 PM »
II have a question regarding evening law school with a full time job.  I have a corporate job as a financial analyst and I have a 3 year old at home.  I have one average law school in my town.  They do not have a part-time evening program.  The closest one is about 100 miles away. 

I would like to lobby the law school to consider an evening program.  I live in my State's capital city and have heard from many other people in government that an evening program would be valuable in the area. 

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

NYCLAW08

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 06:24:26 PM »
I work full time and go to school at night. It is rought because alot of people wont be in your situation. At the same time though, you will come out with very little debt. I am however, seriously contemplating quitting law school and going to get a MBA.