Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone excited for 2L?  (Read 1122 times)

klaw

• View Profile
Anyone excited for 2L?
« on: July 13, 2005, 07:40:27 PM »
I kind of feel like there's something wrong with me for being so excited about 2L. I was absolutely frustrated by 1L and the drudgery of it all, but there's something so liberating about being able to choose your own classes, have a blank slate with new professors and classmates, actually have the time to participate in some other activities. Even cite-checking on law journal seems fun compared to pretending to care about Civ Pro! Anyone else with me, or am I being completely irrational in my newfound excitement about law school?

dtonsing

• Dennis J. Tonsing
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone excited for 2L?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 08:17:22 PM »
Klaw's reaction to returning for the second year of law school is not unusual.  In early June I sent an e-mail to our 2L students, asking if any would care to participate in the Roger Williams orientation program this August.

The results were ... (as they have been in years past, but even more so this year) ... amazing.  So many students are filled with anticipation to dig in to their second year studies, and to start the year off by spreading their passion to the first-year class.

Similarly, last weekend, while teaching a CLEO weekend (visit http://cleoscholars.com/), I was assisted by a small squad of second and third-year students.  (The attendees at the weekend session are all beginning law students; the 2 & 3Ls are former participants in this fine program, who have volunteered to help out.)  The excitement generated by these veteran students was terrific.

Yes, now that you have achieved a fairly high level of "fluency in the language of the law," Klaw, you are able to think and converse on a different level than before.  Those students who are fortunate enough to intern, or work in a law office of any description, over the summer between their first and second years realize quickly that they are "accepted" into the legal community.  This makes life exciting. 

And it only gets better.

Enjoy your second year of law school, Klaw. 
Dean of Students
Academic Support Program Director
Roger Williams University School of Law
Bristol, RI
Recent Publication: "1000 Days to the Bar -- But the Practice of Law Begins Now" (Wm. S. Hein & Co., Inc., 2003)

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 01:17:15 AM »
I might be excited after I get through summer school. In the meantime, I'm more worried about FRE than 2L fall.

kristin1644

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 06:47:17 PM »
I don't know if I'm excited about classes, but I can't wait for everyone to get back from their respective summer homes (my school is in a city that no one really stays in unless they are in school for the summer--except me of course, what a bad decision!).

CoffeeAddict

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 11:04:11 PM »
I am also excited for my 2L year.  I love having the freedom to choose my own classes, and getting the required courses out of the way. 

CoffeeAddict

StrictlyLiable

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 08:57:24 PM »
I don't know how to feel about 2L because I still haven't received my grades yet (still owe them $800 from last semester).

As far as making my own schedule, our school still doesn't allow it.

klaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 03:34:01 PM »
Now I'm excited that I go to a law school whose dean doesn't respond to a random student who goes by the name of "klaw"... But um, thanks, Dean Tonsing!

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 01:47:14 PM »
Finals done...now I'm more excited about vacation than 2L...but hopefully 2L will bring good things.