Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Book Editions?  (Read 333 times)

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Book Editions?
« on: July 13, 2005, 07:12:39 PM »
I was wondering if the edition of casebooks and other texts truly makes a difference.

I am Amazon.com-ing and can't find all of the correct editions; e.g., Kaplan's Criminal Law is only in the 4th edition and my prof "requires" the 5th. I can't imagine a huge difference but I'd rather not just piss away $30.

Totally off my original topic, but what the hell it the reputation counter under my avatar? I thought I could stop worry about my rep now that I'm out of high school.
Air Force JAG Corps

squarre

• View Profile
Re: Book Editions?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 07:20:24 PM »
It depends on the book as to how much it changes.  I had someone in one of my classes using an old edition and the book was completely different.  They had to go out and buy the new book too.  On the other hand there was another class where the same person had an old edition and was fine.  Some of the page numbers were different and the notes were a little different, but for the most part they were fine.

Janna116

• View Profile
Re: Book Editions?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 04:15:42 PM »
I actually had to buy Kaplan 5th ed. last year and the prof told us that the 5th edition is soooo different that we couldn't use an older edition.  I think sometimes they add a case, fix typos and throw in an essay and sometimes they overhaul the book.  Best way to find out is to ask the prof and see if they think buying an old edition is a good or bad idea.  They aren't completely unsympathetic to our money woes.
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - George Eliot