Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Batman the best superhero ever?  (Read 4607 times)

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
  • Eggnog and Pumpkin Pie Shakes Make Me In The Box
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is Batman the best superhero ever?
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2005, 12:01:43 PM »
If your going to lower Supe to his 50's corniness, you got to take Bats down to that level too.  I'm no DC comics historian, but I do know he had a brief television stint where he was played by Adam West; now anybody could beat on Adam West.  Anybody.

angelus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2005, 12:20:56 PM »
If your going to lower Supe to his 50's corniness, you got to take Bats down to that level too.  I'm no DC comics historian, but I do know he had a brief television stint where he was played by Adam West; now anybody could beat on Adam West.  Anybody.

comics and tv = apples and oranges.

certainly the 1950's tv supes could beat teh 60's batman. yet comics are an entirely different aspect.

trouble

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2005, 12:23:26 PM »
While I agree that Batman is sweet and has cool gadgetry, I take issue with your description of Batman as the "everyman" of superheroes.  Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, who is an ultra-rich multi-gazillionaire with unlimited resources at his disposal.  This hardly qualifies him as an "everyman" figure.

But, I still believe that he is the best superhero ever.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

kenxc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2005, 01:11:59 PM »
While I agree that Batman is sweet and has cool gadgetry, I take issue with your description of Batman as the "everyman" of superheroes.  Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, who is an ultra-rich multi-gazillionaire with unlimited resources at his disposal.  This hardly qualifies him as an "everyman" figure.

But, I still believe that he is the best superhero ever.

Well, the nonpowered guys have to be either independently wealthy (Batman, Green Arrow, Blue Beetle) or paid for their services (Booster Gold) in order to maintain a superhero lifestyle.

kenxc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2005, 01:13:52 PM »

How does Batman getting close to winning a fight against Supes after he has Green Arrow shoot Supes with a Kryptonite arrow constitute a 'fair fight'?   ???

Brings Superman down to the realm of being able to be physically defeated. Course we also have to add in the context of Superman over time. The 1950's superman could easily get his ass kicked by many beings. the superman of 2000 or even 1990 was coming into having almost godlike powers.

Wouldn't blocking the sun do a better job of accomplishing that?  Blocked sun + Superman = regular guy.  Kryptonite + Superman = badly weakened guy.

MR2Tyler

• Vrroom.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MR2Tyler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2005, 01:36:35 PM »
kenxe:  Perhaps I was being a little pedantic.  The fact remains that Batman showed up to the fight prepared and Supes didn't.  It's like showing up to a hearing without an important document, except the document was kryptonite, green arrow, a tank, and a cool cybernetic suit.

-Ty
Won:  Idaho ($$)
Lost:  USC, UW, UC Davis (Whipped like a Yugo in F1)
Still Racing:  W&M

kenxc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2005, 01:55:13 PM »
kenxe:  Perhaps I was being a little pedantic.  The fact remains that Batman showed up to the fight prepared and Supes didn't.  It's like showing up to a hearing without an important document, except the document was kryptonite, green arrow, a tank, and a cool cybernetic suit.

-Ty

You forgot the pill to simulate a heart attack, so Superman wouldn't continue to pummel him after the tables inevitably turned.  Remember even after all that, Bats doesn't win the fight, he just puts up a good fight.

Bonkers, Jr.

• Meet Me At The Pier!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2005, 09:44:22 PM »
You guys need to read way more comics, arguments about superheroes that only focus on Justice League characters and Spider Man are lame.

MR2Tyler

• Vrroom.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MR2Tyler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2005, 12:36:18 AM »
You guys need to read way more comic

Never before has anyone on LSD said something so absolutely, categorically false.

-Ty
Won:  Idaho ($$)
Lost:  USC, UW, UC Davis (Whipped like a Yugo in F1)
Still Racing:  W&M

kenxc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2005, 02:26:29 PM »
You guys need to read way more comics, arguments about superheroes that only focus on Justice League characters and Spider Man are lame.

Bah.  This is only page 2!  You have to give us a bit more time and I'm sure we'll bring some more characters into the discussion.  :D