Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Batman the best superhero ever?  (Read 4723 times)

Batman

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Batman0456
    • View Profile
Re: Is Batman the best superhero ever?
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 01:35:16 PM »
We have to turn our attention to who would survive in Darwinian-theory.  If Superman were smart, he would team up with Batman/Bruce Wayne with all his financial resources to buy up the kryptonite and put it into some container in which the kryptonite's radiation could not affect Superman (and in the movies, I seem to remember kryptonite being merely covered with a cloth, to which it had no effect on Superman...only when the cloth was pulled away, he cowered in pain.

Obviously Superman would never get all of the kryptonite. Some would be saved for a rainy day.
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
  • Eggnog and Pumpkin Pie Shakes Make Me In The Box
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 01:51:19 PM »
That's assuming Batman has the smarts.  If we are talking about the Michael Keaton Batman, I don't think he is that smart.  After all, do we really know Batman's IQ?  Someone earlier mentioned he was a trust-fund baby.  So, it is not as if his intelligence got him his fantastic riches.  He could have contracted out all of his technologies.  Alfred practically changes his diapers.

You are right though; there are probably some clever enough heroes out there that would stockpile some kryptonite away.  If Batman was unsuccessfull in defeating them, it might be a closed case.

MR2Tyler

• Vrroom.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MR2Tyler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 02:00:15 PM »
We're forgetting something essential about Batman:  He isn't just an expert in martial arts with an excellent collection of gadgets.  He's also, oh, you know, just the world's greatest detective.  He is much, much smarter than Superman or, I would conjecture, Daredevil.  While Superman would obviously clean his clock in a straight up fight, Batman fights dirty.

-Ty (Worst Thread Evar)
Won:  Idaho ($$)
Lost:  USC, UW, UC Davis (Whipped like a Yugo in F1)
Still Racing:  W&M

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2005, 04:55:01 PM »
Good point Ty.  Batman is quite the detective.  But much of that is due to his fine collection of specialized equipment.  Usually, he drops whatever he finds into his machine and it tells him who did it.  Not too much detective work.

cburkedavis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 05:13:15 PM »
Just a girly perspective--I prefer She-Ra to Batman or Superman. 

I also agree that Jack McCoy is pretty impressive.

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2005, 01:31:03 AM »
Well, if we are throwing in afternoon cartoon shows, I would suggest Thundercats; though they are not the level of Superman, they could eat Batman alive.

Bonkers, Jr.

• Meet Me At The Pier!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2005, 09:29:22 AM »
I am no Batman expert -- he is NOT my favorite superhero, even someone like Black Bolt would be preferred -- but doesn't Batman's butler, Alfred, have some kind of role in developing Batman's gadgetry? If that's the case, Batman can't even take credit for developing his gadgets, merely using them.

angelus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 10:43:38 AM »
Strictly Liable,

Superman is not the best superhero because he is basically impervious to enemy attack.  Batman is vulnerable; as you said, he is just a rich guy in tights.  Batman lives life on the edge.  He is also the charismatic leader of Wayne Enterprises. 

There have been comics written on the subject. Superman has few equals and doesn't need to think much because he can solve most problems through brute force.

Batman on the other hand uses varied tactics utilizing his enemy's weaknesess.

In a fight I beleive Batman would beat Superman as long as he stayed out of Superman's grip and found some kryptonite.

kenxc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2005, 10:46:54 AM »
We haven't established criteria for 'best' here.  If we're talking about whom could take who in a fight, I think the Dark Knight Returns series established pretty firmly that Batman could take Superman in a fair fight, even if Batman was old and out of shape.  That's because Batman is awesome.  If we're talking about which superhero has had the greatest cultural impact, Superman certainly gets some more cred.

Patrick Bateman from American Psycho?  He didn't wear tights.

-Ty

How does Batman getting close to winning a fight against Supes after he has Green Arrow shoot Supes with a Kryptonite arrow constitute a 'fair fight'?   ???

angelus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2005, 11:43:37 AM »

How does Batman getting close to winning a fight against Supes after he has Green Arrow shoot Supes with a Kryptonite arrow constitute a 'fair fight'?   ???

Brings Superman down to the realm of being able to be physically defeated. Course we also have to add in the context of Superman over time. The 1950's superman could easily get his ass kicked by many beings. the superman of 2000 or even 1990 was coming into having almost godlike powers.