Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Batman the best superhero ever?  (Read 4678 times)

rpplvc13

• View Profile
    • Email
Is Batman the best superhero ever?
« on: July 11, 2005, 11:32:42 PM »
Batman is sweet.  He has cool gadgetry and is the everyman of Superheroes.  He possesses no superpower, yet he still manages to wipe out crime throughout Gotham City.  If you disagree, present your case for a better superhero.

Batman

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Batman0456
    • View Profile
Re: Is Batman the best superhero ever?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 04:10:27 PM »
I agree.
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
  • Eggnog and Pumpkin Pie Shakes Make Me In The Box
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 07:56:28 PM »
It depends on your definition of best.

If you follow the traditionally used definition, "superior to the average", I would say Batman is no where close to the "best superhero ever".  Although I do not claim to know who is this best superhero is, if there is such a thing, I would think it would be along the lines of Superman or Silver Surfer or someone of that capacity.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 05:48:43 AM »
hmmm ... yes batman is ok

but what about patrick bateman?

StrictlyLiable

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 10:34:51 AM »
Bateman is not a superhero. He is just a really rich guy with cool gadgets, who runs around in tights.

Superman is the ultimate superhero. Anyone who says otherwise is retarded.

rpplvc13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 05:57:42 PM »
Strictly Liable,

Superman is not the best superhero because he is basically impervious to enemy attack.  Batman is vulnerable; as you said, he is just a rich guy in tights.  Batman lives life on the edge.  He is also the charismatic leader of Wayne Enterprises.  Peter Parker is a bumbling d-bag. 

State your case for Superman rather than simply making conclusory statements, retard.

MR2Tyler

• Vrroom.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MR2Tyler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 12:13:49 PM »
We haven't established criteria for 'best' here.  If we're talking about whom could take who in a fight, I think the Dark Knight Returns series established pretty firmly that Batman could take Superman in a fair fight, even if Batman was old and out of shape.  That's because Batman is awesome.  If we're talking about which superhero has had the greatest cultural impact, Superman certainly gets some more cred.

Patrick Bateman from American Psycho?  He didn't wear tights.

-Ty
Won:  Idaho ($$)
Lost:  USC, UW, UC Davis (Whipped like a Yugo in F1)
Still Racing:  W&M

Bonkers, Jr.

• Meet Me At The Pier!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 12:40:57 PM »
I do not believe Batman is the best superhero, because:

(A) I would tend to not even include him among "superheroes" for reasons mentioned above (no superpower(s)).

(B) Even among "superheroes" who have no superpowers, he is not the best. Daredevil has no superpowers, he is blind, AND he is a lawyer who fights organized crime. Batman is a trust fund baby with little respect for the law.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A3073583

Among superheroes without superpowers, Daredevil is the best superhero. Among those with superpowers, Jean Grey is the best superhero, since she has the power to destroy the entire universe.

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 12:45:00 PM »
We haven't established criteria for 'best' here.  If we're talking about whom could take who in a fight, I think the Dark Knight Returns series established pretty firmly that Batman could take Superman in a fair fight, even if Batman was old and out of shape.  That's because Batman is awesome.  If we're talking about which superhero has had the greatest cultural impact, Superman certainly gets some more cred.

Patrick Bateman from American Psycho?  He didn't wear tights.

-Ty

That's what I said in the first response.  Reality is Superman could easily, easily kill Batman and Robin and his troupe of superpower-less humans, or what Family Guy's Peter Griffin calls "normies".  Unless Batman could lay his hands on some kryptonite, he is toast.  The same argument goes for any of these punks with little or no superpowers: Spiderman, Wolverine, Wonder Woman...I am not really up on superhero literature, so my examples are limited, but I am sure the list goes on and on.

We have to turn our attention to who would survive in Darwinian-theory.  If Superman were smart, he would team up with Batman/Bruce Wayne with all his financial resources to buy up the kryptonite and put it into some container in which the kryptonite's radiation could not affect Superman (and in the movies, I seem to remember kryptonite being merely covered with a cloth, to which it had no effect on Superman...only when the cloth was pulled away, he cowered in pain.  It leads me to believe, you wouldn't need much to protect superman).  Regardless, Superman, with his superstrength and flying powers, could fly this into the depths of space, out of Batman's reach...then, Superman could come back and destroy everyone, again with Batman's help.  Afterwards, when they are sipping on merlot at the Wayne manor, Superman could do the burning eye thing to Batman...or could freeze him with his breath...whatever he feels like that night is fine.

However, Superman isn't smart enough for this...and even so, there are other extra-terrestrial superheroes that would have access to other-worldly kryptonite.  

My opinion?  Assnt D.A. Jack McCoy from Law and Order.
Just my .02

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 12:51:28 PM »
I did a Google search for "Best Superhero Ever" to solve this once and for all (as Google is the definitive authority on this), and this discussion thread came up second.  We should be so proud.