Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How would you get an exam question thrown out?  (Read 1084 times)

joshdelight

• AOL Instant Messenger - nipchee
    • View Profile
How would you get an exam question thrown out?
« on: July 09, 2005, 11:38:00 AM »
There was a multiple-choice section on the torts exam that was a legal application of existential philosophy--i.e. Waiting for Godot in 20 questions.

Of course, MC tests are going to be tough, blah blah blah, best answer-not a right answer, blah blah blah. Spare me the trouble of these posts.  This MC section was a crapshoot, a lottery. It asked questions that were the legal equivalent of:

The sky is:
A) blue
B) white
C) blue and white
D) grey
E) none of the above

The point of my bitching is this: Is it possible to get a test question or questions thrown out? What would be the grounds for getting it tossed? If possible, how would one go about getting a question thrown out?
Wouldn't it be grand if our Department of Defense was not offensive?

Godot

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How would you get an exam question thrown out?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 02:51:07 PM »
I'm right here!
LSAT private tutor

joshdelight

• AOL Instant Messenger - nipchee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 07:10:08 PM »
I am out of town, so I have no idea how I did on the separate sections of the test. I am so god-damned frustrated, though... my torts grade threw off my whole ranking and GPA... I would have been in the top third, but now am one ahead of dead middle.

I am a person who "owns" my bad grades, generally, but this mc portion was some serious BS. What's worse is that the professor threatened that she's likely to find more "errors" on the exam (and lower one's grade) if she's challenged.

I'd just love to get my hands on the MC test and give it to all of the professors in the school, with some kind of "hook" that would entice them to take it or even look at the f-ing thing. A fantasy, of course, but it'd be fun.

I wonder... honestly, this was SO bad that I'd like to prevent future students from having it inflicted upon them, even if I can't get it tossed in such a way as nullify its effects on people's grades (i.e. randomization).  I wonder if there'd be a good way to get "scholarly critique" on the questions, i.e. underscore the pointlessness and absurdity of the questions.   I know that I can't take a copy of the mc section outside of the office... hm... good memory? james bond-esque camera skills? Ha.
Wouldn't it be grand if our Department of Defense was not offensive?

oldthreadsfutures

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 10:16:22 AM »

The point of my bitching is this: Is it possible to get a test question or questions thrown out? What would be the grounds for getting it tossed? If possible, how would one go about getting a question thrown out?

The answers to your questions are:

Yes.

Vagueness, ambiguousness.

It's a pain in the ass to get to pro to throw it out.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 09:51:05 PM »
I've only seen one question ammended, and not even thrown out. Basically, after the midterm review with the students, the prof couldn't explain his answer well enough so he said he would go back and look into it. Turns out, he bubbled in the wrong circle on the key. His own admission. So he changed the right answer and changed everyones grade accordingly. Didn't throw the question out though.

I had another professor who could NOT explain the answer. The fact pattern was identical to a case we read and the outcome was different and he was not able to explain it, despite many questions and him finally saying "i just don't know why, but its not the right answer". He didn't throw the question out.

I have heard stories over the years about it happening, but have never seen it myself.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

tenth8sphere

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 11:11:34 PM »
What school are you at?

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 12:56:42 AM »
why?
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

tenth8sphere

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 10:03:09 AM »
why?

Not you, the OP. Just wondering where this awful test is at.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 04:02:28 PM »
oh.