Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Flashcards: Waste of Time for 1L?  (Read 872 times)

rubiksglue

• View Profile
Flashcards: Waste of Time for 1L?
« on: July 08, 2005, 11:26:53 PM »
yay or nay?

Krisace

• View Profile
Re: Flashcards: Waste of Time for 1L?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 02:13:25 AM »
Worked very well for me...top 5%. I would outline and flashcard for each class on Sunday.  First semester I would review on Sundays.  2nd semester, with much more law to memorize, I would review one course's flashcards that I had compiled, per day. 

By the end of the year I didn't even need my outlines to study from and I could have walked into the finals for each class ready to go from the day classes ended. What makes it more proof-positive is the fact that I wasn't even in the top 1/3 of my college or HS class.

nonamesleftforme

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 10:37:02 AM »
My suggestion would be to find your learning style.  You can go online to fill out some quizes and stuff.  If you're a writer/reader person such as myself, flashcards can be extremely helpful.  However, I have a friend who is an auditory learner and he doesn't even take notes in class.  Different strokes for different folks!

CoffeeAddict

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 11:25:14 PM »
Depends on your style.  For me, I never thought they helped much.  If you do use them, I think they help best for classes like Torts or Criminal Law.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 01:28:38 AM »
I've been using the prepared flash cards for evidence...and I find they're giving me more confidence in my knowledge of the rules.

For something like torts, they help for intentional, but something like negligence gets much messier much quicker...not sure how that would be for creating flashcards.

But, like the rest have said, it all depends on what works for you.