Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Recording Lectures-Useful for Law School?  (Read 3697 times)

rubiksglue

• View Profile
Recording Lectures-Useful for Law School?
« on: July 07, 2005, 12:46:22 AM »
Assuming my profs let me, what do you think about recording and lsitening?

Krisace

• View Profile
Re: Recording Lectures-Useful for Law School?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 02:50:00 AM »
You probabaly wont have time to listen later... Time can be used much more efficiently.  There is really only going to be one or two points to get out of each class.  The best way to use your time is by reading, briefing and doing practice exams. 

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 09:53:24 AM »
I read on a couple of threads around this board that if you use Microsoft OneNote to take your notes, you can record your lecture in sync with your notes.  Then, if you weren't able to get down everything in your notes in class while the professor was saying something important (for example), you can simply go back to that point in your notes and OneNote will replay the recording from that point in the lecture.  I'm thinking about trying this.    I guess the only thing you have to do is get a decent microphone.

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 11:01:15 AM »
I second that. 
If I could go back and change my first year study habits, I'd have listened to my professors less, not more. 
If your professor is good, you should be able to take good notes in class, and get from a trusted friend anything you might have missed. If your professor rambles, then you have come up with other study methods. 

abomb

• AOL Instant Messenger - smackxcp
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (Abomb's Legalease)
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 12:37:46 PM »
The other thing to remember is that LS classes are rarely, at least as a 1L, a typical lecture... your prof certainly isn't the only one talking. I've never tried using recordings of class personally, but I knew a few students in undergrad who did, and I recall the tapes being somewhat muffled. You might have dificulty later distinguishing between a learned professor and a moronic student who's just wrong, though the prof doesn't say so... not wise.
One of the biggest mistakes I've heard people make is trying to fill up their time with busy work, such as recopying notes or replaying the audio of class... your work should be more constructive, taking what you learned and applying it...

IrishAces

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 02:54:09 PM »
Most profs at my school don't allow recording except for exceptional circumstances.  Regardless, it's a total waste of time.  You have limited hours in a day to study.  Use them to read, re-read, outline, etc.  Profs don't typically say a ton of earth-shattering things in classes anyways.  Better to use your time on something else.  If you want a listening excercise that's actually interesting, try to find the SCOTUS oral arguments for cases you're reading about.  At least those will teach you something new (in many cases what not to say when arguing before the Supreme Court).

Teletype

• 2 Timothy 1:7
    • View Profile
    • Visit our family website at www.firstnephi.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 11:40:58 PM »
Assuming my profs let me, what do you think about recording and lsitening?

Consensus thus far appears to be that recording lectures for later review is not value added.  Not intending to debate here, but I'll take a somewhat contrary view.  I've found them to be useful in certain situations. 

Generally, I use recorded lectures as a backup to my original notes.  That is to say, during the original class time, I'll do the best I can composing my notes during the original lecture, and more often than not, that will be enough.  Even so, I record the lecture anyway.  Then when I go back and review the material, if I find there are gaps in what I have understood, then I will do a de novo review of the affected lectures.  Sometimes I even find myself completely rewriting my notes in the process.  But it was quite rare when the additional review didn't resolve whatever concerns I had at the time.  Again, I emphasize that I was not reviewing every lecture, but only a limited number of specific lectures.

A lot can be said about reviewing cases (and the casebook notes) also, and I agree with that.  I use that in my review process as well.  But I still like reviewing the lectures themselves because I find that more often than not, a lot of what is in the lectures are what winds up in the mid-term or in the final, or perhaps more accurately, the topics given the greatest emphasis in the lectures are what shows up in the exams.  It gives me a roadmap as to where I should place the greatest emphasis in my study. 

All the best,
/Sandy/

cburkedavis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 03:10:17 PM »
I think this would depend on your study style.  I had some friends in law school who were auditory learners and learned a lot more by listening to either a recording of their lectures or purchased recordings about a topic (generally, these are a lot easier to listen to because they are professionally recorded, and they tend to stick to the black letter law).  Personally, I would get absolutely nothing out of listening to a lecture a second time, but you need to know how you learn best.  good luck!

Colleen

scottxmacdougall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 09:59:40 PM »
What I'm gonna do, which only applies if you take your laptop to class, is to record the lectures onto my computer while typing out my notes. Therefore, if I miss anything in my notes I can fill it in afterwards and make any modifications.

trialdawg26

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 06:01:23 AM »
I found it useful to record lectures and listen to them during the 2nd semester of 1L.  I'm not so sure it would have helped me at all during that 1st confusing semester of 1L.  Second semester I found it helpful to go back and listen to certain lectures, especially for my morning classes where my brain wasn't always functioning at 100% or where my mind wasn't totally focused.  A lot of what was covered during the lecture ended up on the exam, so it was helpful in that respect.  It gave me a good idea of what to focus on as far as studying for finals.  If you are curious, I would say to try it and see how it works for you.