Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Denied loans...what to do?  (Read 1827 times)

Brooklaw

• View Profile
Denied loans...what to do?
« on: July 02, 2005, 10:24:50 AM »
Hey ppl. I applied for my school loans with a cosigner who has pretty good credit, but was denied at both access group and citibank, both online. Does anyone have any suggestions on what i should do? I obviously won't be able to contact my school fin aid office for a couple days, but i want to get on this now. If anyone knows a lender that is a little easier to get some  money from, it would greatly been appreciated.

I will start pulling all of my long, beautiful hair out in a few days if this doesn't get resolved. :'(

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Denied loans...what to do?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 10:31:52 AM »
Are you sure your cosigner has good credit? I think the miminum FICO score is 620 or something like that. I heard that Access group are the easiest loans to get. So I would have your cosigner check his/her credit report? Good luck

Hey ppl. I applied for my school loans with a cosigner who has pretty good credit, but was denied at both access group and citibank, both online. Does anyone have any suggestions on what i should do? I obviously won't be able to contact my school fin aid office for a couple days, but i want to get on this now. If anyone knows a lender that is a little easier to get some  money from, it would greatly been appreciated.

I will start pulling all of my long, beautiful hair out in a few days if this doesn't get resolved. :'(

RUSewCrazy

• 2.6/163
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 10:32:21 AM »
Try Key bank.

ndiver

• 3.34 (4.0), 151
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 10:34:12 AM »

Brooklaw,

Where are you going to school? I am not sure how easy these lenders are, but here is a link provided by Stetson's Web site for lenders theat they recommend:

http://www.law.stetson.edu/finaid/lenderlinksfall2005.asp

Is your credit that bad... or do you need an excessive amount of money?

HTH
Accepted: Stetson
Rejected:UC Boulder, UGA, UTK, Georgia State, Hofstra, Santa Clara, Temple
Pending: Mercer

Brooklaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 10:38:23 AM »
Yes, she just recently consolodated her credit cards/other loans. I will look at Key Bank. My credit is pretty bad, but i decided to go anyway cause i don't think i could fix it in one year(if i had deffered). I'm going to Santa Clara, but the private loans are not really that much, around 13K. Does it have anything to do with the Federal loans? I mean, do i have to apply for the federal Stafford loans BEFORE i try to get the private loans? I didn't think about that before, but nothing i read said that.

keep em coming people, thanks

RUSewCrazy

• 2.6/163
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 11:44:20 AM »
The Stafford loan should be the first loan you get. Hasn't Santa Clara sent you an award letter or info about the loan process? Unless you have a Federal student loan in default, you will probably be able to get a Stafford. Then you get private loans to cover the difference between the Stafford ($18.5k) and whatever your annual budget is.

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 07:29:01 AM »
Nellie Mae - with a cosigner, I got 1% above the prime rate. 

plutoeyore

• Sr. Citizen
  • My four babies and my reason for everything!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 04:07:01 PM »
Since your and your cosigners credit score was just called up when you applied for loans... I would move on it....I think if they pull other cc scores for the same loan within 10-15 days it wont hurt your credit score, after that it starts subtracting points.

Also, you might try to find a diff co signer if at all possible as a back up and apply with them ASAP...

Good Luck!!!
Stats:  Berkeley GPA 3.53(3.54), LSAT 156
Attending:  Golden Gate(p/t)
Ding: Santa Clara University

sahm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 08:39:49 PM »
I had the same problem - denied twice with a great cosigner.  I have a bankruptcy on my credit (just over 4 years ago) which is why they denied me, despite my cosigner's great credit.

Then I tried Sallie Mae (Lawloans program) and was approved with no problem.

Whew!  What a relief!!
Curiosity killed the cat, but for awhile I was a suspect.

-S.W.

Brooklaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 09:37:20 PM »
What a coincidence, i have the LAWloans application right in front of me. Lets hope that they show mercy on my terribble credit having ass.  ;)