Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: People That Apply to T14s With Sub 150 LSATs Should Be SHOT.  (Read 26395 times)

amiurpoppa

• View Profile
Re: People That Apply to T14s With Sub 150 LSATs Should Be SHOT.
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2006, 03:38:03 PM »
I'm amused by your compulsion to spell out your punctuation.  I assure you, I'm well versed in the mechanics of grammar.  Perhaps your'e right about MENSA and the LSAT.  Bear in mind, I didn't say you were wrong AND i asked you to try the online MENSA test.  Just as a matter of idle curiousity.  And i realize that you were discussing my buying power assertion, but you didn' ACTUALLY make an argument.  you did state a knee-jerk reaction. Now then, if you were to comare region-to-region localized GDP's, average wages, and estimated average living expenses and THEN told me that my assertion was "inflated," then I'd grant you a little more respect.  But you didn't do that.  You must have a lot of trouble with the IRAC method. 

and it's not true that other graduate and professional schools ONLY accept the "best and the brightest." There are plenty of graduates of top 10 med schools and law schools that are sued for malpractice.  PH.D.'s programs don't measure based on the GRE, but based on interviews, research, and academic record.  Like I said, if it was ONLY the GRE, I could get into any math program in the country with my GRE score, but I can't because schools understad that the GRE is not a valid measure of my prospects in their programs.
Also, you're quite short-sighted if you think that we learn the law in law school.  We learn the law by practicing.  Ask all the lawyers and legal professions you know (the ones that ALL told you that school rank is most important) what made them good lawyers.  LSAT or study, preparation, and diligence?

If your'e really that committed to this argument, look up statistics for lawyer malpractice and ethical violations over the past few years, and tell me how many went to T3/4 schools.  THEN tell me if that number is statistically significant.  THEN you may have some evidence to support your contention that lawyers from lower ranked schools are more likely to be sued than lawyers from higher ranked schools. 
Hey, buddy, i'm TRYING to help you out here.  I'm telling you EXACTLY what you need to find out to convince me.  Most people aren't that nice. But, like I said, i enjoy increasing the level of discourse and debate and being proved wrong.   

By the way, i don't believe MENSA is anything to laugh at. In a country whose average high school student's vocabulary has decreased by nearly 40% over the last 15 years, an organization that celebrates intellect and learning is a wonderful thing.  And if your'e right that they automatically invite anyone with a certain LSAT minimum AND you feel that good LSATs make smart people, then what's so laughable about MENSA?

You need work on cleaning up all these logic holes you allow to slip through.  Again, don't take it personally. I want to help you. That's what I'm here to do.  You could learn a great deal by opening up and considering.  Hell, I've even TOLD you how to win this argument.  It's apparent you have some interest invested in it since you have yet to stop, despite claiming that you're done with it.

Well, let me help you end this disagreement.  I told you precisely what I needed.  Now all you have to do is figure it out.  Surely even you can muster the cognitive resources to get this done.  Again, i'll understand if you concede that I'm your better.  After all, silence is golden. 

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2006, 03:45:17 PM »
Get a life.  I cannot believe you waste this much time on an internet forum.

MENSA is a joke.  I never said I thought that the LSAT was the end-all, be-all of intelligence.  I simply stated that that it deserves some respect in regards to law school success. 

I am not wasting my time with a 30 minute online exam for a "club" that invited myself and countless others to join based off of one exam.

Anyway, as I said before, I'm not arguing.  I have no problem writing back and forth, but I don't need to waste my time researching statistics. 

Face it... I have a better job now than you will have AFTER graduating law school and will surely have a better job as a lawyer.  You don't even have remotely the same opportunities I have coming out of loyola.  You aren't even in the same ballpark so quit wasting my time and go do your TTT reading.
Attending GW in Fall '06

amiurpoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2006, 04:13:08 PM »
to be fair, i can't be sure i know what TTT reading is.  and I'm not responsible for your time.  you're the only one wasting any time that you spend doing whatever you do.  Projection is an ugly thing, my friend.  And i'm having a thoroughly lovely time on this forum.  It's hardly any time expense for me, and it's always fun to do things that don't remind me of class. 
However, i have gained a certain kernel of respect for you.  To so stubbornly standfast to your conclusion without justification or reason or rationale... i can respect that kind of stubborn pride.  it's the kind of thing that kept Zulu warriors running at superior British firepower, training, and strategy.  I mean, granted, they lost in the end, so it's not something you should depend on, but i admire you for it, after a fashion. 
And i understand if you're unwilling to try the online MENSA "workout."  It's rather difficult.  I have no problem saying that.  I mean, enjoyed taking and finishing it, but there's no shame is shying away from an opportunity to challenge yourself. 
Also, i understand you have no problem writing back and forth.  That much is abundantly clear.  And I also know that you aren't arguing, since you clearly aren't making any real points or justifying or qualifying any of your statements.  So, i take it as a compliment that you no longer feel you have any "arguments" to make.  You see, an argument is something that can be substantiated by more than mere conjecture and the occassional anecdote.  Without substantiation, all you're doing is blowing hot air, which may be therapeutic if something else is lacking in your life.
I, on the other hand, am quite content to represent the interests of those that are normally underrepresented.  Keep in mind, the quality of a job is unrelated to the pay.  The pay is only the reimbursement for the unhappiness that you have to suffer while practicing your vocation.  To confuse those two would be a sad thing, my friend. 
I can see that you need help with more than just logic, but also, apparently, compassion and personal fulfillment.  Let me know what I can provide.  Personally, i don't like to leave things half-finished, but i can only help you if you let me. 

P.S. you did assert a relationship between LSAT and intelligence, but i understand if you're unable to remember or keep track of what you say.  I know how little regard you have for the art of logic, and remembering what you are talking about is an esential piece. 

Toodles, buddy-boy

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2006, 06:37:58 PM »
Yes, I regard logic so little and am so horrible at it that I did significantly better than you on the LSAT exam.  An instrument that tests logical reasoning.

Take care nitwit......
Attending GW in Fall '06

amiurpoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2006, 08:48:18 PM »
buddy-boy, i actually got every single question right on the logic games of the LSAT.  Also, i don't recall telling you what I got on the LSAT.   But if you've made the jump from mindless yelling to divine empathy, i could respect that.  Is that a course in GW?  However, i understand why you feel you must devolve to namecalling.  In the lack of any substantive logical processes, I probably might also feel threatened.

But it's alright, my friend.   In failing, again and again and again to address anything that I discuss, I respect your concession of my mastery of the issues at hand. 

You might salvage more pride if you faded away to silence.  Alamo, Custard, etc. ...  Last stands, noble as they may be, are for losers, my friend, and I don't wish that upon you. 

wish you the best, my friend.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2006, 10:03:39 PM »
So what DID you get on the LSAT?  Obviously not very high if you ended up at Loyola in New Orleans.  You said you have a masters from Duke, so prestige does matter to you on some level.  Don't act like you could have went to Harvard and chose Loyola.  You couldn't get in any T20 schools so that is where you went.
Attending GW in Fall '06

amiurpoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2006, 12:30:42 AM »
Buddy-boy, there's no reason to lash out.  I never said I could get into any of the top 20's.  And i respect those that did... but only for having a strong application, not much more. 

But, get your facts straight if you're going to attack my credibility.  I got a a scholarship to Univ. of Miami law school, but I can only party in Miami, and the traffic in that city drives me bonkers.  And i have a M.S. and a certificate from Georgetown University.  I got my B.A./B.S. from Duke, where i was also recieved Honors in Anthropology.  However, my cumulative GPA was well below a 3.5, due to all my hard science classes.  I had a bit of a crisis of interest, which led me further into the hard sciences and lower grades.  And, as you should know, a 3.13 isn't enough to get you into a top 20 school, even with a 162 on the LSAT.  Yeah, i got a 162 on the LSAT.  Well, to be fair, i got a 158 the first time, but I actually took a couple of practice tests the second time.  I've never been very good at preparing for standardized tests ... they're so dreadfully dull. 

I at NO point said prestige doesn't matter, but I did say that it's secondary to hard work and a good attitude.  Furthermore, I have the resources to set up my own career choices and stray away from formulaic patterns: i made enough money off the market to pay for my M.S., law school, and pay off my student loans; i have a great public interest firm ready to hire me, and i have a pleasant demeanour.  So, no, I couldn't have gotten into Harvard, but I also don't need to. 

Also, little hint, if something is obvious, you rarely have to establish that... unless it wasn't immediately obvious to you, in which case it wasn't really obvious.  Just a grammar trick.  See, I enjoy giving you advice to help you be a better person.  It's in society's best interest for both of us to work to be better people, do you see?

So, what are we focusing on now?  Law school rankings, LSAT, or me, cuz i gotta say, this interest in me, while flatterring, is a bit new to me.  I'm not used to someone i've never met being so interested in my personal details.  But, if it helps you relate to me more and better yourself as a person, then I'll be happy to disclose other information, my friend.

toodles for now, buddy-boy.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2006, 06:32:05 AM »
WOW!  You got into the Univ. of Miami law school?  AMAZING hahaha.  If you are going to brag, make it about something worth bragging about.  Their bar passage rate this past time around has been released and its only around 60%.  What a fantastic school.  You must be proud.

Also, a 162 wouldn't get you into many T20s even if you had a better GPA. 

You really are a loser dude.  Your posts are long and boring at this point and I just skim over them and move along.  Earlier, it seemed you were posing valid arguments, now you are just rambling.

You must be a real winner.  All those degrees and certificates and your job prospects are offering only $85K/year.
Attending GW in Fall '06

amiurpoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2006, 10:38:13 AM »
Erapitt, my friend, I never meant to come across as if I'm bragging.  I don't believe the institutions I've attended have much bearing in my pride as a person.  You need not be so resistant to those who are trying to teach you ... it's very disruptive to the tutoring process, my friend.  I never said that a 162 would get me into a top 20, even with a better GPA.  You really should watch out for this vapid assumptions you keep making.  They're dangerouns, and a less tolerant fellow attorney might not be as forgiving as I am with your discrepancies.
But that's what I'm here for: to guide you through this self-destructive worldview fallacy to a more enlightened and pleasant one.
Have I not already claimed that bar passage rates vary across so many states with so many different and non-standard bar exams that any genuine comparison of bar passage rates related to law school quality is worth very little.  Now then, if you were able to standardize and correct for these discrepancies statistically, then perhaps your insult (i guess that was your intent.  a better grasp of the english language would help deliver your intent, my friend) would affect me. 
Also, I find a career in public interest for 85 grand to be quite fulfilling and rather sustainable right out of law school.  It's really a shame that you can't seem to find a career path tailored to your own interests and depend on a degree to deliver you a career rather than yourself.  Of course, I can't expect everybody to a bootstraps person, but I also expect someone who depends on somebody else's kindness to be a bit more open to learning how to be a better person.

But again, that's what I'm here for, my friend.  Let us continue... unless you grow weary of failing to establish anything of any significance...

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2006, 10:51:42 AM »
Someone less intelligent than I isn't much of a tutor.  Have a nice life cupcake.
Attending GW in Fall '06