Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: People That Apply to T14s With Sub 150 LSATs Should Be SHOT.  (Read 26605 times)

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: People That Apply to T14s With Sub 150 LSATs Should Be SHOT.
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2006, 06:46:21 PM »
U.S. News are respected by laweyers nationwide as well as judges.  If you think someone at a 98 ranked school will have the same opportunities I will have at GW you are out of your mind.  Look at OCI alone.  GW has over 400 schools recruiting on campus, American has less than half of that and they are still T1.  HYS, T14, T20-25, and then everyone else.  If you don't think its true, you will find out when the time to apply for summer associateships comes.

Pitt offered me a large scholarship and I was seriously considering it.  Then I spoke with their career services lady who told me they don't have 1L OCI.  Most schools outside of the top 20-25 don't. 

Also, the way I act towards people and what I think in my head are totally different things.  The luxury of a discussion board is I can state my opinions freely without someone forming a vendetta.

Good luck to you.
Attending GW in Fall '06

hotdiggity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2006, 07:56:51 PM »
Thats understandable if your goal is to get into a firm and make the most amount of money possible then your in a good place to be at GW.  If I was able to be accepted at Temple I would probably go there over other schools like Widener or Rutgers, yet I would chose Widener or Rutgers over Penn if I were able to get into Penn.  If you know where you want to end up then you can know where you'll have the best chance to hone your skills for your profession.  See I want to be a trial lawyer, so Penn would not be my best choice because of what I've heard about Penn lawyers is they are great writers, yet lack some courtroom advocacy skills.  Widener, although a T4 school has an excellent Trial Ad. program that is taught by some of the finest faculty in the Philly metro area.  So my point is this, it's not a fair statment to say things like you'll not be able to find a job if your in a particular school, maybe I can not find the job YOU want at Widener, yet I'll be perfectly capable of finding the job I want there.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2006, 09:06:12 PM »
The fact that you claim that you would choose widner over Penn is moronic.  Penn is one of the best legal institutions in the nation. There is a reason the top schools are the top schools.  Faculty, student body, etc.... To be a good trial lawyer, you have to understand the law.  Widner definately isn't going to do what Penn could.  Now you are just being ridiculous.

The only trial law you will practice out of Widner is some DUI cases and a whole lot of personal injury.  If you are really lucky, maybe some wrongful death.  Sounds like a great career.  Good luck!
Attending GW in Fall '06

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2006, 09:21:24 PM »
ERAPITT,

First of all, it seems from you posts (not just this one) that you have a misunderstanding of tort law.  Why do you keep mentioning wrongful death and PI cases as shotty jobs?  Torts was my least fav class so its not for me but what do you have against it?

Secondly, you don't learn the law in law school.  Law school teaches the philosophy of law.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2006, 09:31:46 PM »
Ambulance chasers make me sick.  This country is full of sue happy people and most personal injury lawyers have no choice but to take every case that comes across their desk.  These "bread and butter cases" as they are called amongst many trial lawyers are often shotty at best.  The good cases where the people actually deserve some real money end up getting screwed over in a settlement that the lawyer takes because he doesn't want to risk the possibility of losing the case in trial after spending thousands to build a case.

I realize law school doesn't teach the law and I kinda figured I would get called out on that so that is fine.  However, to sit here and say widner over penn is just flat our absurd.
Attending GW in Fall '06

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2006, 12:28:53 AM »
I agree w/ the Penn v. Widener point.  However, I think it is absurd to say that a T4 grad will work at McDonalds.  Will finding a job be harder? sure. Impossible? highly doubtful.

Obviously T1 is better than T4, but people shouldn't not go to LS just b/c they can't get into a T1 school.

I respect you point about ambulance chasers but be careful not to let the media sway you.  I encourage you to read the actual McDonald's case and the other ones cited for ridiculousness.  The media really pulls it out of context.  Furthermore, since plaintiff's bar works on contingentcy fee, there are very few ridiculous cases even brought.  You do, however raise a good concern about attorneys having an incentive to force early settlement.  Anyway, you'll talk about this AD INFINITUM in the fall.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2006, 07:43:18 AM »
I don't go based on media, I go based on friends/friend's family members that are in personal injury law because they went to T4 schools.  Its a rough business that rarely looks out for the interests of the client. 
Attending GW in Fall '06

hotdiggity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2006, 12:12:25 PM »
What I was talking about was working in Criminal Prosecution, I have no desire to ever handle a wrongful death suit and the only way I'll ever have my hands on a DUI is by prosecuting one.  The experience that have from speaking to other district attorneys is that Penn is excellent at teaching the philosophy of the law, yet don't do as well as other schools in the area at the practice of the law.  Most of the Penn lawyers in the Phila DA's office are rumored to end up in the appeals division of our office, due to their excellence at writing briefs.  While most Widener and Temple Lawyers end up in the trials division because they are better trained at litigation. 

amiurpoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2006, 06:06:27 PM »
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

Erapitt, you crack me up, man.  Seriously.  So, I went to Duke undergrad and Georgetown for a Master's Degree.  Got a scholarship to University of Miami law school, but decided to go to Loyola in New Orleans.  Miami's a border 2T/3T in my opinion, but considered ranks and bars higher than Loyola.  Guess what, man?  I don't care.  Party in Miami, but don't live there.  Plus, living in New Orleans is a lot cheaper (minus the occassional category 5 hurricane). 
I like my law school class more than most of the ivy leaguers i met at miami or the princeton, UPENN and georgetown students i used to party with.  fact of the matter is, i'm a great networker and i understand that while i've attended what many consider to be desirable institutions, I still haven't accomplished anything that society at large should respect.  Same goes for you, buddy.  claiming to attend George Washington (and saying that denied Georgetown because it was too far out of the way) only lets me know that you have immediate access to some opporunities that i'll have to charm or work a bit harder to achieve. But i'm willing to bet if we had the same interviewer, i'd have the hiring attorney eating out of my hand, whereas you'd be pickhing his shoe out of your ass. 

also, learn about academia before you start making statements about it.  knowledge is more credible than nonsense.  Plenty of med schools accept students below the standardized MCAT average of 24.  you may pay more and go out of the country, but those guys aren't killing people.  They're just working harder to get a residency.  There are also D.O. schools.  and bear in mind, every graduate of med school ends up earning upper class wages and generally have good lives with family and friends.  That's what dictates success.  I know this is just an opinion BOARD (not bored), but if you didn't care so much what people think, then i don't believe you'd spend so much time responding to posts.

Try having a good attitude, buddy.  If you make partner 5-7 years out of law school, then feel proud.  Right now, though, you haven't accomplished anything of any worth whatsoever. 

P.S. i could graduate at the bottom of my class and i still have a job waiting for me.  Why?  Because i make connections and friends with people that respect that me.  Academia is a great place to learn, but social skills and practical intelligence deliver results, buddy.  Not degrees.  Oh, and I wouldn't be so quick to assume people can't tell that you're duplicitous.  Just because you don't verbalize your distaste or disrespect for people doesn't mean they aren't aware of it.  Cognitive reasoning is a learned thing, not inherent.  And as most anthropological studies will asert, cognitive maturation is a direct result of social interaction and cultural dynamics.  This might lead some to suggest you have a developmental disorder.  Sorry to be so cerebral.  but chill out man, law school is professional grade grad school.

amiurpoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2006, 06:10:32 PM »
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

Erapitt, you crack me up, man.  Seriously.  So, I went to Duke undergrad and Georgetown for a Master's Degree.  Got a scholarship to University of Miami law school, but decided to go to Loyola in New Orleans.  Miami's a border 2T/3T in my opinion, but considered ranks and bars higher than Loyola.  Guess what, man?  I don't care.  Party in Miami, but don't live there.  Plus, living in New Orleans is a lot cheaper (minus the occassional category 5 hurricane).  
I like my law school class more than most of the ivy leaguers i met at miami or the princeton, UPENN and georgetown students i used to party with.  fact of the matter is, i'm a great networker and i understand that while i've attended what many consider to be desirable institutions, I still haven't accomplished anything that society at large should respect.  Same goes for you, buddy.  claiming to attend George Washington (and saying that denied Georgetown because it was too far out of the way) only lets me know that you have immediate access to some opporunities that i'll have to charm or work a bit harder to achieve. But i'm willing to bet if we had the same interviewer, i'd have the hiring attorney eating out of my hand, whereas you'd be pickhing his shoe out of your ass.  

also, learn about academia before you start making statements about it.  knowledge is more credible than nonsense.  Plenty of med schools accept students below the standardized MCAT average of 24.  you may pay more and go out of the country, but those guys aren't killing people.  They're just working harder to get a residency.  There are also D.O. schools.  and bear in mind, every graduate of med school ends up earning upper class wages and generally have good lives with family and friends.  That's what dictates success.  I know this is just an opinion BOARD (not bored), but if you didn't care so much what people think, then i don't believe you'd spend so much time responding to posts.  also, as far as Ph.D.'s are concerned, GRE scores are virtually irrelevant.  the GRE is a glorified SAT. I got a 770/800 on the math portion of the GRE, but i'm certainly no theoretical mathemetician.  

Try having a good attitude, buddy.  If you make partner 5-7 years out of law school, then feel proud.  Right now, though, you haven't accomplished anything of any worth whatsoever.  

P.S. i could graduate at the bottom of my class and i still have a job waiting for me.  Why?  Because i make connections and friends with people that respect that me.  Academia is a great place to learn, but social skills and practical intelligence deliver results, buddy.  Not degrees.  Oh, and I wouldn't be so quick to assume people can't tell that you're duplicitous.  Just because you don't verbalize your distaste or disrespect for people doesn't mean they aren't aware of it.  Cognitive reasoning is a learned thing, not inherent.  And as most anthropological studies will asert, cognitive maturation is a direct result of social interaction and cultural dynamics.  This might lead some to suggest you have a developmental disorder.  Sorry to be so cerebral.  but chill out man, law school is professional grade grad school, but not a writ of contentment.  I have a friend that got a full ride to duke and was dean's list for 4 years.  He's spent 2 years pumping gas and is nowing a correspondence master's program.

ok... back to outlining