Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: People That Apply to T14s With Sub 150 LSATs Should Be SHOT.  (Read 26219 times)

amiurpoppa

• View Profile
Re: People That Apply to T14s With Sub 150 LSATs Should Be SHOT.
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2006, 06:12:01 PM »
I apologize for the multiple post.  My internet cracked out when i hit the "post" button, so i hit it twice.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2006, 08:22:19 PM »
Amiurpoppa: I think its hilarious you think you can interview better than I can just because of an internet forum.  I have sold myself into my career, the promotions I have received, and everything else I have accomplished in life.  If you seriously think that you can do better than I just because of what you read on here, you are a fool.

But going to loyola in New Orleans, we won't even be in the same market, so why even compare?

I never said GULC was out bc of where it is solely.  In fact, I never even said I denied them.  I said it is a better school, but their evening program is insane and that is the route  I will take because its paid for by my employer.

Good luck at loyola.  You'll need it.
Attending GW in Fall '06

amiurpoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2006, 05:12:00 PM »
Erapitt,

Your blanket statements about your accomplishments hold about as much water with me as my assertion that I can interview better than you.  However, what we have to read here is the only basis we have to evaluate each other. 

But let me re-establish what i was trying to express (poorly perhaps):  hard work and a good attitude get your more mileage than who printed your degree.  You're right that I will need luck to do well here. Because thes students I go to class with are motivated and intelligent.  More intelligent, I'd say, than many of the people I used to work with in the thinktank i fellowed at in DC. 

I respect that you seem to have a guarrenteed job opporunity.  And i think i can interview better than you because you don't deliver your personality well.  You may be a lovely person in real life, but this sort of blanket disrespect for another person's endevours is something that you only think you can mask.  People are perceptive and any extended interaction with people will show them, at least, a shadow of what issues you carry on your shoulders. 

I'm not going to presume to understand you from a forum, but why do you care what i think if we're in different markets and have seemingly vastly different potentials?  I care about posting because I can't pay attention in this class.  What's your drive?  Is something else quite unsatisfactory?  Did somebody from a lesser law school get a promotion over you? 

If I had some understanding of why you're so embittered by lower ranked schools, then I'd be more entertained.  However, as things are, I'm confused why you're angry at someone that poses you no threat, and you probably never have to deal with, assuming your access to opportunities, and presumably society, will keep you removed from us mouthbreathers?  It's like a 1930's white dowager complaining about black people in a whites-only restaurant in connecticut. 

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2006, 06:18:20 PM »
I simply post whenever I am passing some time.  Nothing lacking here.  Good luck to you.
Attending GW in Fall '06

amiurpoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2006, 08:35:47 PM »
That's good. That's good.  It's good to engage in therapeutic behaviours, especially when they can so conveniantly be accessed during your free time.  However, I have to wonder if you have any strength to your convictions, seeing as you neglected to discuss any of the merits of your percieved inferiority/superiority scale for law school rankings. Consider this: if law school rankings are the end all/be all of legal success, then why are there numerous articles and memos from legal professionals and deans claiming that the US news and world report is not a fair measure of the worth of a law school?  Are they hypocritical, or do you just think that all these deans are foolish?  Surely people who spend the better part of their lives studying and adapting to legal academia should bow to your experience and insight.  I mean, after all, you are IN law school. So, was I wrong about medical schools, or do you simply not know enough to rebut me? 
This was starting to get entertaining for me, and your proving absolutely the bore, my friend.  Tell ya what. For argument's sake, I'll concede that Loyola is an inferior school with inferior sudents and inferior faculty and resources. I'll even concede that I'm less intelligent and less probable to earn a sustainable wage. 

I've given you a stacked deck, now tell me where I'm going with my life, buddy.  Divine me a future. 

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2006, 09:59:12 PM »
Dude, you need to get a life.  I don't have time to sit here and argue with you all night as I have to be up at 0500. 

Without going into much detail.....  Correct me if I am wrong.  Law school's rankings are based off of the competitiveness of an applicant's grades and LSAT scores.  Then, once in law school, students compete for grades on an absolute curve.  That being said, doesn't it logically follow on that the best schools are going to have the most intelligent students and therefore create the most competitive environment in which to learn?  Sure, there are always going to be diamonds in the rough, however, eventually you have to accept the reality that the AVERAGE law student at ranking 5 is going to do much better than the AVERAGE student at ranking 98.

Whether you want to admit it or not, lawyers are prestige whores overall.  Its the way the profession is structured. 

Also, were you wrong about medical schools about what?

You can argue all you want.  Let me know how the job search goes coming out of loyola in a few years and we will see if you feel the same way.
Attending GW in Fall '06

amiurpoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2006, 11:11:26 PM »
erapitt, erapitt, erapitt...you may doubt me, but you can't doubt my consistency.  You've been flailing about trying to assert your dominance, and I'm still just not sold.  I even tried to provide you a stacked deck, and you sabotaged your assertions.  I won't enjoy prosecuting you for malpractice one day. 

First of all, I have a life.  It's law school, and as far as you should be concerned, it's responding accurately to your evermore obtuse statements. Case in point: law school rankings take into accoung a great deal more than LSATs and grades.  Mostly because there is a well established and arbitrary grade inflation across law schools.  Also, because schools with decent endowments are good at recruiting students with partial scholarships.  Grants, graduation rates, bar passage rates, and salaries are all factors.  But again, there is so much inconsistency across these fields that any honest assessment is hard to make.  There is no doubt that Harvard and GWU will consistntly rank higher than Loyola.  But I already have a guarenteed $85,000 job for when i graduate.  I got it off connections.  But it's in the Southeast, so the buying power of 85 grand to me is something like the buying power of 200 grand in NYC, but I assume your superior intellect already made that connection, so you must be referrng to some sort of inherent disparity in intelligence. 

You say diamonds in the rough.  Are you referring to me?  If so, then you should re-evaluate your definition cuz i'm nowhere near the top 10%.  If your'e not referring to me, then you're still wrong because there are smarter, more motivated, and harder working students than me that will make more than either one of us. 

And what do you mean by the average rank 5 will do better than rank 98?  Running industry joke is that top 10-15% become professors and the 70%ers make the money.  They get that pay by being savvy and intelligent.  By the way, if you're committed to this whole intelligence debate, look up and tell me how many MENSA members attended Ivy League schools.  Are you a MENSA member? Perhaps you should take the online test.  http://www.mensa.org/index0.php?page=12
I hope you do well on it. It's rather challenging.  Let me know if you finish it.  I know you have issues completing things, seeing as you have yet to make a legitimately substantial point that is based on more than speculation, conjecture, and ignorance. 

But, buddy-boy, that's what i'm here for.  I want to help you learn more about the world.  I believe in increasing the level of debate and discourse. So, dig deep, think critically about your assumptions about the world, and try to formulate a rational thought that can withstand the rigors of (at least) moderatly critical analysis.   By the way, since you associate intelligence with institution, I was a physics and evolutionary anthropology double major at Duke, and I have a Master of Science in Biosecurity and a Certificate in Security Studies from Georgetown.  And I worked in a thinktank as a policy fellow/analyst for a year.  Oh right, I also just turned 24 last week.  I got these things by exercising a good attitude and a pleasant demeanor.  But I wasn't always like that.  I had to learn. And i hope you do too.

I'm not a sore person.  When you make a good point, I acknowledge AND welcome it.  More often than not, I enjoy being proven wrong, because it tells me where I have so much more to learn.  It's comforting to have your arrogance held in check by reason and rationale.

Prestige Whores??? You certainly do enjoy your obtusely blanket statements.  The "way the profession is structured" is to establish and represent the rights of individuals in the adjudication process.  If you have such a jaded or disingenuous perspective on the profession, then perhaps something more fulfilling would be a better avenue. 

Me, i love the intellectual challenge and the people i've met and the prospect of engaging in such activities in the future.  I'm not worried about the job search. 

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2006, 06:50:18 AM »
I haven't taken the time to pick through your posts like you want because I simply don't care to spend the time to do so.  I am done arguing with you.

Regarding $85K in the southeast being worth $200K in NYC: That is a bit inflated and you know it.  Even in cities with low COL, such as Pittsburgh, the market rate is still $110K.  You have been offered well below market no matter where the job is.

Mensa is a joke dude.  They invited me to join based on my LSAT score.  They send out mass e-mails to any student that scores in the 90th percentile and ask them to join.  Its a joke and I am now cracking up that you actually asked me if I was a member, especially when you were trying to insult me.

Go back to whatever life you claim to have.  I have work to do.  Enjoy that $85K job while paying back whatever debt you have.
Attending GW in Fall '06

amiurpoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2006, 12:00:33 PM »
I don't have loans because I already made enough on the market to pay for school.  Interesting that you're the only one that claims to have recieved MENSA invitations for doing well on the LSAT.  None of my friends that got 170-180 claim the same.  And you're a twit to compare average salaries across regions.  Buying power is a fairer indicator of lifestyle. Furhermore, 85 grand a year is quite  comfortable starting salary for someone in public interest law.  And i don't believe that my buying power assertion is inflated, if you consider the quality of apartments and rents and daily expenditures in NOLA vs. NY or even DC.  Balance your checkbook and tell me I'm wrong. 
I was never trying to insult you, buddy.  I don't do that to people I can't see.  And i'm well entrenched in the life i claim to have.  This isn't some escapist fantasy for me.  Interestingly enough, i've given up more personal details, all of which i can substantiate, than you have, which leads me to believe that you might not be able to substantiate any of yours.  This might be one reason you've failed to address any of the facts I've laid out. And that's fine.  You concede by silence that I'm right, and I respect you for recognizing that.  I now have a slightly higher regard for you than before. 

Enjoy work, erapitt.  Eventually you'll find something worth living for.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2006, 01:19:52 PM »
Search on the pre 1L board and you will see that MENSA sends out invites for anything over a 163.  Contact them if you do not believe me.

You were the one that compared buying power moron.  I simply argued against your claim.

I have plenty worth living for which is why I am not wasting my time in an otherwise endless argument. 

Law school is not for everybody and I will always believe that it is not a right to be in law school.  As I have said previously: medical schools, Ph.D. programs (among others), all limit the number of applicants to the best and brightest, why should law school be any different?  Lawyers have the power to make or break people's lives and financial situations and I think our country needs to be a bit more picky regarding who we permit to do that. 

Someone with a 2.5 GPA and a 148 LSAT does NOT belong in law school.  PERIOD.
Attending GW in Fall '06