Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: People That Apply to T14s With Sub 150 LSATs Should Be SHOT.  (Read 26281 times)

Rapskeletor

• View Profile
Are you people seious?

I guess its reasonable if you're a URM, but even that's stretching it. Sub 150s should be eliminated altogether from the legal profession. HTH

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: People That Apply to T14s With Sub 150 LSATs Should Be SHOT.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 03:36:35 PM »
The point is that one can better understand the LSAT. When I took my first diag test, I got the "just shoot me" score of 149. However, after about 6 months of figuring what the test was really asking me, I got the decent score of 156. Still, I did not understand what the games were truely looking for and I still failed to find a suitable system for solving the questions. So, you can't actually study for the test, but you can definately prepare by learning how to write clearly and understanding what is being asked...the more you understand this, the better you will do on the LSAT. I would say be just studying alone, you would gain 10 points on your LSAT from your first diag and from tutoring, you should get another 10.

Are you people seious?

I guess its reasonable if you're a URM, but even that's stretching it. Sub 150s should be eliminated altogether from the legal profession. HTH

Even though this is pretty mean-spirited, it does make it harder on the adcomm when you apply a school when your LSAT at least 5 points lowe than their median. Why should they have to review your application when serious applicants are biting their nails trying to hear back so they can make their plans.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 05:35:04 PM »
First off, its an honest comment from the poster.  Granted, it was rude, but WAKE up people.  Every other graduate program (serious ones anyway) revolve around an exam.  Find me a cluster of people in med. school with crappy MCAT scores or someone in a PhD program that bombed the GRE.  Too many people on these boards think law school is a right.  Its not.  It has become that because people are learning they can make a ton of money off of morons that have no business practicing law. 

I figure, apply all you want.  When you only get into Tier 3s, go ahead and go.  Waste your money, graduate law school, and come work for me as a legal assistant.  You probably think I'm being rude, but look around for cooley grads or other crap schools.  Many of them are either unemployed or working as legal assistants. 

Like it or not, law school is prestige oriented and it always will be.
Attending GW in Fall '06

hotdiggity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 02:21:10 AM »
I work in the Phila DA's office right now in an internship, and prestigue has nothing to do with who's hired and even more so who's the best attorney's.  Widener (T4) is the second biggest feeder school in that office and the D.A's from Widener are excellent trial lawyers.  While the Ivy League Penn lawyers are better at appeal briefs than in court rooms due to their theoretical training.  So to say that prestigue is a big deal I guess would only matter in a case where you are trying to go into biglaw, yet soemone like me would rather be in court argueing cases then in my office staring at my T14 law dipolma all day.  T4 T3 in my opinion, and the opinion of many fine lawyers from all different law schools does not matter as much as some want to believe. 

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 10:36:00 AM »
You are showing exceptions, not the rule. Everyone that advocates for T3 or T4 always has an example.  Sure, some go on to become successful, but many more do not.  The difference between a T20-25 school (and this was stated to me by a career services rep. from a T1/T2 border school) is that a graduating class will have more options deeper in their rank at a T20-25 than at a lesser ranked school.

Its a fact.  Sure, Widner might produce a few good lawyers that go on to be successful but I assure you it isn't more than approximately 5-10% of the class while the rest struggle to find jobs. 
Attending GW in Fall '06

hotdiggity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 08:47:53 PM »
the aba sight lists widener having an 86% employed rate, with another 3% persuing graduate degrees out of 95% known. So widener grads are finding jobs

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 09:48:49 PM »
"Employed" doesn't necessarily have to mean as lawyers.
Attending GW in Fall '06

hotdiggity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 08:09:31 AM »
i think people who go to law school expect to become lawyers, and they're not going to settle for other jobs beside law.  I know a good amount of widener grads all of whom seem to be doing well, of course i know them from the legal field so i couldn't have access to the unemployed one, yet they same to be finding jobs as easily as grads from other schools in the philly area.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 09:28:52 AM »
Keep thinking that.  Plenty of T4 grads that are working as legal assistants or working wherever they can.  Its a fact of life.
Attending GW in Fall '06

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 11:16:47 AM »
unsubstantiated as usual EraPitt...

Keep thinking that.  Plenty of T4 grads that are working as legal assistants or working wherever they can.  Its a fact of life.