Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Computer options  (Read 1017 times)

Painting101

• Sr. Citizen
  • 164/ 3.55
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sgtpeper82
    • View Profile
Computer options
« on: July 02, 2005, 12:24:28 AM »
I have a 4 year old Sony Vaio.  It's very small, and I love it.

The problem is, it only has a 750 mhz processor (I don't even know how much RAM).  Will that be enough to run the programs that I'll need to for law school?   ???

I know a lot of people buy new computers for school, but a lot of people have tons of debt, and I'm trying to avoid that.
Pitt is it!

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Computer options
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 06:42:59 AM »
If you are running Windows, go to your desktop and right click on 'My Computer', then choose 'properties' down at the bottom.  This should bring up a window that will show how much RAM.

Couple questions:

What operating system do you run now?  Windows XP?, Me, 98, or are you off on the fringe with Linux?

Does your school have a recommended laptop setup on their website?  Usually the school will give you guidelines as to what you need.  Chances are the only program you'll have to worry about is the test software.  I assume you already have Office with Word, Powerpoint, etc.  Unless you plan to purchase new note-taking software this should do.

Do you have an Ethernet card to connect to the school's network?  A wireless card may be recommended by the school, but from what I've heard, even the best wireless networks at schools are flaky.  If you can plug into the network in class you are probably better off.

If you feel your current laptop is too far below what your school recommends, consider that a new Sony will probably run you around $2K (ballpark).  This is likely a small amount compared to your school loans anyway so it might be worth it to upgrade to a new laptop (with a new warranty) and keep your current Vaio as a backup.  If you feel comfortable enough leaving a laptop at your school, you could just transport your files back and forth on a USB drive and not lug the computer all around.

Painting101

• Sr. Citizen
  • 164/ 3.55
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sgtpeper82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 02:47:57 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I have windows ME, I also own xp, i just have yet to install it on there.  I actually bought this thing used on ebay a couple months ago.  For research purposes, will I just be using lexis and westlaw online, or do they have software to install?  that was my concern:  i figured i'd need software from them, and the computer wouldn't be able to handle it.
Pitt is it!

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 09:02:56 AM »
IMO, XP is a memory hog.  I agree with doing a fresh install, you'd be better off, but if you have <=256 MB RAM XP will be slow compared to WinMe. My school 'strongly recommends' 2000 or XP Pro, they do not want Me or other non-secure OS's like 95 or 98

I have noticed some schools require a floppy drive to submit tests where as others will take a floppy or USB.  Something you want to check out ahead of time -

Janna116

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 04:36:02 PM »
The secureexam software that we use is a huge memory hog.  If your school offers it and you plan on taking exams on your laptop, check with your school Information Technology department for the requirements to run their exam software and make sure you have them. 

Westlaw and Lexis are both online programs, you don't need to install anything.

It is never too late to be what you might have been. - George Eliot

buggy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 06:18:12 PM »
I just bought a laptop last week using the guidelines given to me by my school for Ram...etc.  I have a HP Pavilion dv1227.  It is light, portable, ready and able for law school demands...and didn't break my bank account.  I also have an IBM Thinkpad which I really love and use for work, but it is older and doesn't have a built in wireless card...I thought it was important to upgrade...and I like the idea of having seperate laptops for work and school