Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do schools give small loan amount increases?  (Read 371 times)

Brooklaw

• View Profile
Do schools give small loan amount increases?
« on: July 01, 2005, 05:25:26 PM »
Sup ppl. I have asked my school for  a small loan increase to help with my move across the country and the cost of a laptop computer among other things. I asked for approx. 4,200 bucks extra.

Has anyone tried to do the same before, and if so, what were the results? I know each school is different, but i'd like to know if this is a common request and the trend. I know that some schools will increase the COA to allow for a computer, but my school makes no mention of that in their info/website, even though they are pushing for us to buy Dell and Apple computers hard.

Any comments would be well appreciated.

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Do schools give small loan amount increases?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 06:47:48 AM »
I think it's a common request to bump your loan for a laptop.  I think you are SOL on moving expenses.  My school makes no mention of a bump for a laptop on their website (or if they do I did not see it), but they brought it up during an admit open house and said it was no problem.  $4200 might be a bit steep, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 02:00:24 AM »
Most financial aid offices will allow you to file an appeal that requests an increase. However, you have to provide documentation. So as far as a laptop purchase is concerned, you need to buy it first and then submit them the receipt. Also, you should submit a letter from your school's dean that states that laptops are highly recommended for your program.

The reason that they most likely will not allow you to up your COA to include your moving expenses is b/c financial aid is supposed to support you during the schoolyear, not what took place before. It's the same reason that they do not provide for credit card debt or car payments. You're better off saving your receipts during the first month to prove that you spend more on such and such category, i.e. food,  and thus need an increase.

Brooklaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 10:32:11 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys and gals. I will use that info to my advantage.