Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1st and 2nd Tier schools with the best and cheapest gyms.  (Read 1312 times)

BigMix

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
1st and 2nd Tier schools with the best and cheapest gyms.
« on: July 01, 2005, 11:22:02 AM »
What are you opinions? How easy is it to get access to the gym, and how much is the gym fees, or is it taken directly out of the Activity Fees?

kdeevers

• View Profile
Re: 1st and 2nd Tier schools with the best and cheapest gyms.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 11:29:23 AM »
Way too general.  Each school is different.  My school the gym is free as are all the classes.  I don't think there is a set standard for all law school gyms.  The fee is probably included some how in tuition.  I don't know any ranking systems for best law school gyms...

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 08:04:17 PM »
I've seen Penn's gym and it is awesome. I've also heard that Georgetown has a very nice gym.

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 09:22:04 PM »
SMU is building a new fitness complex . . .the plans look pretty spectacular and part of it will be ready for use this fall.  We can use the gyms with our student fees, and classes (dance, aerobics, etc.) you can either pay as you go, or pay for an entire class for credit. I'm sure this varies tremendously with each school, though.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

kdeevers

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 12:46:09 PM »
I've seen Penn's gym and it is awesome. I've also heard that Georgetown has a very nice gym.

I went to Penn undergrad and they were renovating the gym and finished it the year after I left.  I've heard it's unbelievable but everything at that school is!

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 04:05:26 PM »
I think schools that have an additional fee for the use of on-campus gyms are the execption rather than the rule.  I think most places have an "activity fee" or "recreation fee" that covers gym use.  At IU, you pay mandatory fees that cover gym usage, however there is a living community (a few floors with in a dorm) with an additional gym that you can use, which carries a higher fee than other floors in the same dorm (like $100/semester).

As for quality, I think it's typically going to be below that of a private facility.  This is just because you have more people working out than at a private gym (where have you seen a Bally's with a line of people to get in?), and more people who don't know what they're doing.  So unless the gym is brand new, or has brand new equipment or was recently renovated, I doubt you'll find that it's up to the standards of a private gym.

Also, gyms are typically of two types: older, "fieldhouse" type facilities that have been at least kept in decent condition, and newer gyms that more closely resemble large health clubs.