Law School Discussion

Working 2nd Year

Working 2nd Year
« on: June 30, 2005, 08:25:06 PM »
How difficult is it to work 2nd year and still have enough time to study to get good grades?

How many hours a week do 2nd years typically work?

Do you continue working even during finals or do employers give you time off for that?

Re: Working 2nd Year
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 11:09:13 PM »
I've heard that it's really difficult to work in your second year b/c you have a lot of statutory-type schoolwork. (Remember: 1L--they scare you to death; 2L--they work you to death, and 3L--they bore you to death).

I also think that the answer depends on whether you plan on being involved in law review, moot court, or a student law association.

Lastly, just remember that when you're only supposed to work 15 hrs/wk, it's really more like 20 to 25.

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 05:10:03 AM »
are you asking because you're an entering 1L, or you just finished your 1L?

It's possible to balance your second year studies with other activites, including a job, and do well in your second year.  I have several friends who did.  I didn't have a job my second year, but I did didn't dedicate the full of my life to law school the way I did my first year.  I took on many other independent activities, and I had much better law school grades. 

by the law, except for law review (for which cannot speak), journal work is not especially demanding or time-consuming. 

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 12:28:03 PM »
I will be a 2nd year in the fall.  I tried out for law review, but in case I don't get on I am considering my options, such as getting a job or taking 1 more class (I took classes this summer so I only registered for 4 classes this fall).  As for a job, I would be more interested in getting a different experience (I was a paralegal for 3 years before law school so I already know what it is like to work for firms) than doing it to have extra income.  For example, I saw an ad for an insurance company seeking a law clerk to work with its in-house counsel.  I think this would be an interesting experience, but I don't want to jeopardize my grades.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 03:47:28 PM »
I would think it would be hard to have a job first semester of your second year.  At least at my school you didn't have any choice about when they scheduled your on campus interviews and 2Ls were leaving all the time - sometimes for weeks at a time - for callbacks.  This added to journal work and I'm not sure people could have had any free time for working.  Maybe after you accept an offer you'd have time - but I'd wait to get into the swing of things first.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 04:14:04 AM »
You are completely in control over whether or not you can work your second yeaer.

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 01:08:26 PM »
I am now an 3L and worked as a law clerk during my 2L year, I worked about 14 hours a week (All day friday and 3 hours or so on tuesday and thursday mornings). It was challenging but I got all of my work done and continued to do well in school (maybe a little better because professors are a little more laid-back with the 2Ls and 3Ls at my school). It was great experience am always complemented on it when I interview. The major hassle is there that I have to do more school work on the weekends (less time to watch football and party). But ultimately if you can and it is with a good employer willing to work around your schedule, I highly recommend it. If you have any questions send me an email.