Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When did your financial aid arrive?  (Read 774 times)

almost30

• View Profile
When did your financial aid arrive?
« on: June 29, 2005, 03:27:08 PM »
For those of you who took out student loans, private and/or government subsidized, when did the money show up in your bank account?  Before the start of classes?  Later than that?  September?  October?

Krisace

• View Profile
Re: When did your financial aid arrive?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 04:04:40 PM »
My financial arrived somewhere in the first week of school.  I didn't do direct deposit so I picked the check up from school.  What our school does (as I imagine most schools) is to not charge the tuition until the money from financial aid arrievs, then give you a check the 1st or 2nd week fo school for the balance of the first semester money.  Then the same is done for the 2nd semester, disbursed automatically by financial aid.

kristin1644

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 07:19:15 PM »
Any federal loans that come through your school are disbursed after school starts (about a week).  Most private loans will allow you to pick a disbursement date.  For my private loan last year I got it on July 15, I think.  This way I had the money to pay rent/deposit, buy books, etc.  But if you're going with only federal loans you won't get them until school starts.  However, I know at my school they will give you up to a $1000 advance on your loans. You should check with your school on this.  Hope this helps!

almost30

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 10:08:30 AM »
Thanks for replies!  Very helpful.

abomb

• AOL Instant Messenger - smackxcp
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (Abomb's Legalease)
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 12:58:40 PM »
Not all schools are like that. With some, such as mine, you can get remaining funds (after tuition) before classes start, as long as you've signed up for direct deposit. My orientation starts Aug 15, and they said that the funds would be in our accounts on the 8th.