Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Offered part-time job as a 1L but don't want to work during 1L  (Read 3558 times)

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
A friend of my dad's just basically offered me a (paid) part-time job during 1L.  He's a solo practitioner in Boston and he's mostly doing it as a favor to my dad.  However, I want to put as much time into my schoolwork as possible (at least during 1L), and I know I'm not going to have enough time without a part-time job.

I'm supposed to meet with him next week sometime to talk about it.  I'm trying to think of some way to convince him to give me a job for the summer after 1L, rather than during 1L.  The problem is that I should not be the one telling him when I want to work, since he is doing a favor for me/my dad.  Since he's a solo practitioner, it makes sense that he would want me to work for the whole year, not just the summer.  What should I do?

(I think I'll post this on the Pre-Law side as well.)

kdeevers

• View Profile
Re: Offered part-time job as a 1L but don't want to work during 1L
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 12:53:28 PM »
I don't think there is anything wrong with meeting with the guy, and telling him the truth.  He's an attorney.  He's been through law school and know what you are about to encounter.  I think it's more than fair for you to tell him that you just aren't sure what the 1L year will bring, and you want to devote all of your time to studying, at least until you get a feel for what's going on.  I don't think he can hold that against you, and hopefully will see it as a positive thing, and ask you to join him in the Summer.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 12:59:30 PM »
I don't think there is anything wrong with meeting with the guy, and telling him the truth.  He's an attorney.  He's been through law school and know what you are about to encounter.  I think it's more than fair for you to tell him that you just aren't sure what the 1L year will bring, and you want to devote all of your time to studying, at least until you get a feel for what's going on.  I don't think he can hold that against you, and hopefully will see it as a positive thing, and ask you to join him in the Summer.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I thought so too.  Thanks for the advice!

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 06:57:08 AM »
You could offer to volunteer a a couple hours (2?) a week to help him file, type, or some BS stuff like that.  It would be a minor amount that would keep you coming into the office on a regular basis, but be of minimal impact to school.  Come summer, it would be much easier to slide into a paying full time position since you would already be familiar with his office and the general workings.

bruiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 09:38:27 AM »
Doesnt the ABA prohibit working during your fulltime 1L year -- or at least there is a cap on the hours.  Schoolwork is DEFINITELY most important!!

lwr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 04:37:28 PM »
A friend of my dad's just basically offered me a (paid) part-time job during 1L.  He's a solo practitioner in Boston and he's mostly doing it as a favor to my dad.  However, I want to put as much time into my schoolwork as possible (at least during 1L), and I know I'm not going to have enough time without a part-time job.

I'm supposed to meet with him next week sometime to talk about it.  I'm trying to think of some way to convince him to give me a job for the summer after 1L, rather than during 1L.  The problem is that I should not be the one telling him when I want to work, since he is doing a favor for me/my dad.  Since he's a solo practitioner, it makes sense that he would want me to work for the whole year, not just the summer.  What should I do?

(I think I'll post this on the Pre-Law side as well.)

Maybe he's trying to make you change your mind about law school, yanno!

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 11:43:00 PM »
ABA limits full-time students to working no more than 20 hours per week.  Some schools have stricter standards.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 11:55:01 PM »
ABA limits full-time students to working no more than 20 hours per week.  Some schools have stricter standards.

A first year student gave me the tour at UConn in April. She claimed that she worked 30 hours a week and that she was a full-time student. Don't ask me how or why. Actually, she said something about needing the money, so I guess that's the why. One of her jobs was working in the admissions office and giving tours, so the law school was apparently well-aware of the number of hours she worked. She must have been some sort of exception.

If I was going to work at all, I would only do 5-10 hours a week. I'm not an idiot. I prob won't even do that. (Not saying she's an idiot. She apparently has different goals in mind. Also, she was very nice.)

nesty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 02:57:27 PM »
mp, if you are not taking Legal Writing & Research class you can work, no problem. But if you are taking it, you already have a full-time job on top of law school classes.

dal79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 04:08:34 AM »
mp, if you are not taking Legal Writing & Research class you can work, no problem. But if you are taking it, you already have a full-time job on top of law school classes.

nahh... LR&W isnt that bad.

I only know of one first year student at my school that works, and she works Wed. and Thurs. nights, she got permission from the Chancelor.