Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seattle Living  (Read 655 times)

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
  • Eggnog and Pumpkin Pie Shakes Make Me In The Box
    • View Profile
    • Email
Seattle Living
« on: June 27, 2005, 11:29:06 PM »
For those familiar with the Seattle downtown, any neighborhoods you would recommend or advise against?  I am going to Seattle U. in the fall, and am married with dog...heh, no not married to a dog, but incidentally have a dog.  My wife teaches piano, and with a dog, it is a good enough excuse to get a house. 

Anyhow, I talked with the housing office already, but would appreciate other recommendations.

If there is a resource for finding cheap rentals besides craigslist, also please let me know.

Bhoutros

• View Profile
Re: Seattle Living
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 02:28:30 AM »
Congrats!  I am on the waitlist at Seattle U and can wait about a month longer...

I am trying to decide between U of Montana and Willamette in Salem, OR.

I've been in Seattle for 2+ yerars and I LOVE it.  I'll be so sad if I have to leave.

I live in Lower Queen Anne/Uptown and think it is the best place ever.  I work downtown, so I can walk.  It is a short bus ride to Seattle U.  I walk to baseball games at Safeco.  I'm close to Seattle Center and everything.  :)

I also really like Ballard - if I were buying a house I'd look there, buying a condo I'd look in Queen Anne.

Interbay is between QA and Ballard and is less expensive - but it has more "industry/warehouse" and not as much as a view.

Belltown is close to everything but yuppie, trendy and expensive.  I'm not coool enough to live there.

You might want to check out Greenlake/Phinney Ridge.

There is lots of stuff near Seattle U on Capital Hill, but for me it is too busy, and I want to be away from school when I am away from school.

It seems like the North/West areas are better than the South/East.

Angie4Prez

Re: Seattle Living
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 10:32:30 PM »
Congrats on Seattle U!!  I earned my undergrad there and had a great experience.  I'm sure you will love the law school.

As far as buying a house, the Seattle market is pretty expensive.  If you want to be close to the school, and want to find something affordable, you could try finding something in the Central District just East (down Madison) from campus.  Historically, this area of town has been seen as the area to stay away from, and as a result, been faily inexpensive.  But in the last few years, it has undergone a slight rejuvination with an influx of young people buying up the houses and investing some money into them.  The houses there are more expensive than they were, but far less than the other houses in the nearby Capital Hill or Madison Valley/Park neighborhoods.

West Seattle is another option.  Very cool, laid back neighborhoods with lots of great restaurants.  The housing there is still considered less than most of Seattle.  It's also close to Alki Beach with is beautiful.  One draw back though is that West Seattle is about a 20-30 minute drive to SU in traffic.  Still a nice place though.

Just south of there is White Center.  It too has historically been seen as a place not to live, but like the Central District, it is undergoing a huge rejuvination with lots of young people buying up the affordable housing along with new stores and services moving in such as Westwood Village (similar to University Village, just not as posh).  It has great restaurants and is located just off both I-5 and 509/99 so getting to SU and downtown is pretty quick by car.  By bus it takes about 20-25 minutes to get to SU.

You could also head north and find something in Ballard.  Ballard is a great place that used to be pretty affordable.  But it is now pretty pricey, though slightly less than other areas.

YOu might also want to check out the Mt. Baker neighborhood.  It's located more east towards Lake Washington, but is really nice and has the reputation to be a bit more affordable.  I don't know much more about that area though.

Anyway, happy house hunting.  And welcome to Seattle!